Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a posi unit for my 12 bolt. I'm keeping the same gears since they are 3.73's. How hard is this? I build all my own motors but am not too good with diff's. I'm guessing this shouldn't be too hard since I'm not changing the pinion depth. I have all kinds of shims and a dial indicator with a magnetic base. Any helpful links out there?? I'm told it's an issue of backlash. Should a check that before I pull and then set it back to that?? Any help would be great!!!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Re: Please help setup in switching from open to posi but using same gears.

Remove the axles first. Check the backlash before you remove the bearing caps. When you check the backlah you MUST hold the pinion perfectly still. If you don't then your reading will be completely useless. Then remove the differential and swap the ring gear over to the posi. Install it with new bearings and set the backlash back to the original setting. Get the shims as tight as you can get them without damaging them or the housing. Install the shim on the left first and then use a small hammer to tap in the shims on the right. Here are some instructions for doing this in the 8.5 10 bolt, but the steps are the same for the 12 bolt. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19773&highlight=install+posi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts