Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 I am install new bushings and when i removed the uper control arm and there was another rubber stop under the control arm. As I am more of a secound gen guy I have no clue what i is called I need to get 2 of them and 1 bolt because the stop wasnt on one side.....

#2 When I removed the control arms on each side it looks like something was cut off??? is this normal?

Thank you guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Those are upper control arm rubber bumpers, and unless they were aftermarket, shouldn't have a bolt. They just have a rubber nipple that pulls through the hole. They are available repro or GM. Rick's, Ground Up, anyplace like that will have them.

It's tough to see from the lower pic, but I don't see anything obviously cut off. If you're talking about the flat part that looks "filleted", that's the surface that the rebound bumper in the top pic contacts at full droop.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Actually, looking at it again, maybe the flat part that the bumper hits is missing. Here's mine when I pulled it; do you have the part sticking out?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO I dont have those humps it looks like someone cut them out? What would be the reason for that.

·
Super Moderator
32,789 Posts
The reason for cutout is to be able to have more front lift when taking off from a stop, as in more weight transfer to the rear. No objects in the way, more travel, more lift.

When you install the new bumper stops, lube the nipples with Dawn, silicone grease, rubber grease, or petroleum jelly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the rubber bumpers dont even hit them humps it looked like they hit below is that correct

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
On my 69, the rubber bumpers hit those flats. You may want to put the control arms back on and see if the rubber bumper would hit anything before the sides of the arms hit the frame. If the bumper won't contact anything before the arm hits the rail, there's probably not much point to replacing the bumpers.

·
Super Moderator
32,789 Posts
The flats limit the amount of arc taken by the control arm. If the uca travels too much, then the upper ball joint will be exceeding its mechanical limit, read stud to the edge on the socket, and break.

So yes Eric, softail should reg up the spindle and uca, lca, without the spring, and see the travel of the control arms through their entire range and check for clearances/binding.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have QA1 coils for the front and most likely will run them a litle stiff so I migh be OK or Maybe I will put in stopps from the rear tarction bars they are a little taller... Thank you guys :beers: for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts