Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting the Auto Meter Ultra light gauges and the gauge pod for my 69. I will also be installing a new speedo and tach where the stock speedo and fuel gauge are now.
I have a Tremec 5 speed and a ZZ4, all the interior components currently work but are dated. All of the existing original electric wiring under the dash is in excellent shape.
Which gauges would make for an easier/better install, electrical or mechanical? The only thing I have ever hooked up was a tach, oil pressure and a water temp gauge in racecars.

What is entailed in a speedo, fuel gauge and voltmeter swap?

I am prepared for some serious fabricating but wiring is a bit of a weakness but I am capable of learning. Any help for the planning of this operation would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I prefer electric gauges. The mechanical water temp gauge requires a large hole in the firewall to get the sender bulb through. Mechanical oil pressure puts engine oil in the interior with the risk of a leak. Electric gauges are simple to wire. Basically, a wire to the sending unit, a wire to +, and a ground. Volt meter is just + and ground. Much of the wiring can be "daisy chained" from one gauge to the next, i.e. a pos wire from the fuse block to gauge A, from A to B, B to C, and C to D. Same with the ground. Each will need it's own sender wire, except voltage gauge.

Illumination is the same for mech or elec. You'll need a + coming from the inst lps spade on the fuse block, and a ground. Daisy chain those also.

You can do it. Invest in a decent soldering iron, some ring terminals, female spades, 12 or 14 AWG wire and heat shrink tubing. All very inexpensive. Radio Shack

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree that electric gauges are absolutely the way to go for ease of installation and reliability.

What gauge panel are you considering? I'm planning the same swap in my 68.

Thanks
Paul

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Go with the electrical gauges, it's not that hard to hook up. I used Auto Meter Ultra light II gauges with the Auto meter console pod on my 68.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I went for standard speedo and Tic toc tac for my 68 but I put all electric Autometer Phantom gauges in the console.
I would have liked to put original console gauges in but I've never liked the oil capillary coming into the cabin.
I know they hardly ever leak etc but I preferred the electric oil pressure gauge, so I went for Autometers

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the info and the pics. I like the Autometer Ultra gauges but I havent bought anything yet. Was there anything special that has to be done with the fuel gauge or can you just connect to the existing wiring?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Just get the correct fuel gauge, I believe 90-0 ohms. And it hooks right in and uses the factory level sender and wiring.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just get the correct fuel gauge, I believe 90-0 ohms. And it hooks right in and uses the factory level sender and wiring.
Good info, thank you. Lots of choices out there and theres alot to learn before I waste money on something that I cannot use or have to make more modifications.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Nev is that an electric speedo? Are you running a tko trans? If so what part replaces the cable? I am thinking of a gauge change also.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Please help with choosing gauges UPDATE

I bought the 2 1/16" fuel level, voltage, oil pressure and water temp Autometer Ulta lite II, full sweep, electric gauges new from a guy on Ebay for just under $500 including shipping. The gauge pod came from Summit and my father in law gave me the 5" Ultra lite speedo and tach he had laying around. I will be putting the 4 gauges in first then when I have more time I will do the speedo and tach. Thanks to everyone for the info, it helped with my confidence knowing that I can do this by myself. Before and after pics to come shortly.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Pick up a old jag xjs they rust out and go real cheap....pull the Smiths gauges , suit the era and far better looking, plus you get the full oil fuel rtc plus matiching speedo.
Pull the door handles and mechanism, front and rear suspension power brake unts etc and sell of to sone hot rod guy building a custom truch or '55. they end up with the look plus ride and handling of the jag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts