Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - Picked up an electric vacuum pump from GM car for my MP 8" booster in my 69. Would like to plumb it correctly the first time. When connected to 12v on the bench, a plastic elbow sucks air in, and air is blown out thru what looks like a vacuum canister. I was going to connect the suction side to the booster. If I connect the other end to the engine, will this blow air into the intake? Any help is really appreciated. Thanks - Don

·
10,142 Posts
I haven't done one, but I'd think there are two ways to plumb one.
Since no one else has answered this, I'll throw some ideas out. Just realize I haven't tried it.

1. T the suction line into the existing line, add a check valve between engine and T to prevent the pump from drawing air from the engine side, use a check valve like the one on the booster pointing the same direction, towards the T.

2. instert the pump inline with the booster, this way all vaccum for the booster runs through the pump. If the pump is small it may restrict flow too much to work well this way, but the amount of "head" the pump sees is much lower this way, the pump would have less work to do.

Probably #1 is the most common way I'd guess.
David

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,443 Posts
You run a line from the rubber tee to the brake booster, keeping the stock one-way valve in the booster. The nipple fitting from the vacuum can looking thing has a hose run from it to manifold vacuum on the base of the carb or manifold. This allows engine vacuum to assist the pump so it doesn't run nearly as often.

Jody

1 - 3 of 3 Posts