Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 88 iroc has many problems that all maximize my cars chances of overheating, my fans stopped working and i think its a shorted wire, as well as i have a coolant leak but i cant find it anywhere, i just installed a new thermostat. The car though still heats up in about 15-20 min of pretty relaxed driving. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thx

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Your fans stopped working and it's overheating? Hmmmmmm...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok you might have a point there, but can that really affect my engine temp that quickly and is it usually a wiring problem with the fans.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Basically you need water flowing through the inside of the radiator and air flowing through the cooling fins to get rid of the engine heat. If you have an identifiable problem that might contribute to your rise in engine temperature ( such as a non-operational fan ) fix that first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx alot im only 18 and just got this car from my uncle, it sat in his driveway for 5 years. The fans just cut out, do you think it could be a shorted wire?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Have you checked the fan relay? Is there a fuse? Is the fan motor good? The wiring would be one of the most reliable parts of the circuit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had a coolant leak from a faulty radiator cap, and the coolant got all over my relay connector, so i had assumed the worst.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
check the coolant temp sensor...this is the sensor in the intaks that tells the computer what temp the motor is, and the comp turns the fans on and off...the fans should come on at about 224 degrees...this seems high to some of the elderly gentlemen(winkwink) on the site, but these cars are made to operate at much higher sustained temps...also check novas suggestion..a bad relay will definitely make your ride overheat...you can check the fans by applying 12 volts from a battery charger to the terminals of the fan...

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
if it's a bad sender, the fans should be on all the time.
i'd start with the relay. that should take care of the low speed over heating.
if it still gets hot at highway speeds, then check to makes sure the air dam is still there and working properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts