Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my '69 POA refurbished and set up to run 134a. It was working last year, this spring no cold air so I thought maybe it was low on freon. Mechanic gets good pressure, no bubbles and the expansion valve ices up from the bottom nut down the line to the evap core, but the POA doesn't cool down at all and never frosts up. The air inside is maybe 65 degrees so it's cooling down somewhat, but obv not enough. Mechanic thinks the POA is the problem but I think it's something else. He said it seemed like there was too much oil in the line and he drained some out. Afterward everything cooled down nicely for a short time, but then the pressures dropped and the POA warmed back up. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Just to let you know, the modified POA valves do work very well (at least mine does). It sounds like you have some blockage or a problem with the expansion valve (which has a metal screen filter).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That's what I'm hoping. Not knowing the internal of an expansion valve, is that something that can be fixed, or is a replacement of the expansion valve in order? Did my comment about the excess oil make any sense? And could that be causing a blockage?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Greetings from Arizona
If you want to retain stock look, there is a company that cuts POA Valves in half, machines it to accept late model orfice tube, works great, just had my wifes 67 Elcamino done 4 weeks ago. only thing thats different is extra relay installed on dash. Your local AC shop will probably know about this if they do many old cars and trucks. Jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts