Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I want to pull the rear side windows and mechanism out for rebuild in a 68. Any pointers or things to watch out for. Is realignment difficult?

Thanks
Ray

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
If it's just dirty and sticky, you can get to it pretty well thru the access cover to clean and lube the tracks and rollers. If it's really messed up, u oughta get a Fisher Body Manual for your year. The R&R and adjustment instructions are in there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JimM,

It looks like the rollers are wobbly, so I thought I have to take it out to replace the rollers. So then I thought OH WELL, Might as well rebuild and clean and lube the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I thought mine were really bad, but about five years ago, I reached in there with a solvent soaked rag and cleaned everything I could, then rubbed on some white lithium. They still smooth as silk. You can get at all the adjustments without pulling it out, too. I think the rollers were born a bit wobbly.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JimM,

I'll give that a try. I have about a 100 projects going at working on this interior ( or seems like it) Anything that I can get taken care of quick that works I welcome at this phase of my restore.

Thanks
Ray

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
ray if they are messy, hank em out and clean them up, then you dont have to go back in there again.
There are 4 adjustment screw/bolts (arrows in the pic) that can tip the window up/down/in/out to match up your opening. The rollers can be replaced, brackets cleaned up and repainted if you want. Its not all that bad a project, so 101 now?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Click,

I'm kinda of the same philosophy, If I there now, do it right so I don't have to visit it again. I've been trying to derust,clean,paint,and replace bad parts as I go. I'm right there, I keep looking in the openings trying to size up if I want to pull the mech's and window out and redo it. I think I will do it just to get it done. Great pic's, Do you remove the window from the mechanism first. what is the procedure for removing?

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
i removed the window first. Then, I marked the positions of the adjustments and taped the studs to hold their position. Took 'em out, cleaned 'em up, painted them, and replaced the woobley rollers. Put everything back, and lubed with lithium grease.

Still had to adjust a little, though.

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
Yep like unreal said, pull the window out the top first, then wiggle the rest of it out thru the access holes in the pic.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guy's,

I'll tackle the side windows first, then if I'm brave I'll go after the door windows, they need it too. If you grab the top of the drivers window you can rock the thing back and forth about a half inch. I'm suprised the windows not scratched from rubbing something when rolling up and down.

Thanks
Ray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts