Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will an hei distributor fit my 350 engine on my 69 camaro when i have the cowl induction air cleaner?there are great deals on hei's on ebay right now,i am thinking of buying one but do not want clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
When I think of "HEI" I think of the '70's style coil in cap distributor. These can be a real tight fit.

Also readily available on ebay and elsewhere is the "small body HEI." This uses a normal size cap and an external coil, and can be a much easier fit.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I agree with Jim on tight fit. I also have a 69 w/350. I installed the MSD HEI coil in cap dist. And ended up dimpling my firewall. I think different engine stands and mounts might help, but I'm not sure if it's enough. Wish I had known and asked enough questions before doing it. You shouldn't have the problem with the small body HEI. Plus it would look more stock like.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What cars/trucks used the "small body HEI" with the external coil? I thought all these used computer controls and would not be a simple swap in to a Camaro. I know about Dave's HEI conversion but would like to use a simple and cheap stock small HEI from a junk yard.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
What cars/trucks used the "small body HEI" with the external coil? I thought all these used computer controls and would not be a simple swap in to a Camaro. I know about Dave's HEI conversion but would like to use a simple and cheap stock small HEI from a junk yard.

Thanks
Now that's one I just don't know the answer too..
Here's an ebay example http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROC...ewItem?hash=item170202756920#ebayphotohosting
The MSD 8360 is a $300 American made (maybe?) example.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just sent a points dist to Daves Small body this week to be upgraded, my 68 has lost a step since doing all the suspension,brake,posi,larger tires the old 327 needs a little more fire lit under her. I tried years ago to see if an HEI dist fit and it did not. I am looking forward to trying it out.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
You can also add a pertronix unit or other to your points distributor.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I found this one on ebay-small cap and already converted to electronic.I'm going to try it.
330219708469 for only $65.00 + shipping

1 - 9 of 9 Posts