Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem.
I currently have an Edelbrock Torker on my detailed engine and would like to "dress up" the manifold. I dont want to change the manifold or buy a polished one.
My question is, can my exisitng manifold either be polished or powder coated.
If so, how does a powder coated finish look compared to the exising "grey" color?
Can it be polished ?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Yes, you can have it polished. Not sure how much it would cost, but I would guess $150?

I personally do not care for the look of a manifold that is ceramic coated. I would think a silver powder coat with maybe a clear top coat may look good.

I also like the look of a manifold painted with VHT Brake and Rotor paint, the silver color. Looks like a brand new manifold for a long time.

------------------
Matt Jones
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had one ceramic coated before. I think I had Jet Hot do it. It turned out great. I would do it again. If you do a search under 2002 tech this was talked about at least once before.

·
Registered
671 Posts
you can also bead blast it to clean it up, then clear coat it, it looks great have to be carefull about fuel when it is hot as it will yellow the clear, just do your tuning before redoing clear coat, or just be carefull and have rags when doing carb work, i have a pic of mine but am not sure how to post it, anyways look at my motor pics on my site
jake http://hobbystage.net/camaro/bbcamro

·
Registered
137 Posts
Powdercoating and chrome retain heat. Mine's polished and looks like chrome. The only problem is you have to keep polishing it by hand once it's done. There's a pic of my engine and car in the current issue of Camaro Performers and on the cover of Super Chevy Oct 2002.

Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
My intake is the stock 68 Z/28 intake as it is identical to a freinds that he has hanging in his garage that he knows is a stock 68 Z intake and it was polished by someone when the car was restored but I don't know who it was. The "snowflake" was removed before it was polished so at first I didn't think it was a stock manifold. It was brought to my attention by my freind that he thought it was stock and we took his down off the rafters and compared and everything matched up but the "snowflake was missing. The comment above about needing to maintain the polish on it is true however but I think it is easier to keep clean than the stock cast finish I have on my 67 SS Chevelle RPM manifold. I wish I would have put a polished one on it. Pictures can be seen in the link below.

Robert

------------------
My 67 SS396 Chevelle
My 70 SS396 Chevelle
My 68 RSZ/28

Robert Stacho (a.k.a Mytmouse on Team Chevelle)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I wouldn't powder coat an intake. The powdercoat will melt around 425 degrees. That's quite high, and most of the manifold won't get that hot, except the area around the exhaust cross over on both sides of the carb. My personal preferance is bead blasting and a high temp clear coat, but over time this too will yellow and need to be done again. Polishing would probably be less maintenance.
Jim

·
20,706 Posts
I worked at a Powder Coating Manufacturer for 10 years, so I know a little. Yes, it will retain some heat, There are some high temp coatings out there, and yes I powder coated my intake< slipped in the back door of work>.After 4 years or so, it looks the same as when I done it,gas,oil, or what knot wipes right off. We made some coatings for Ford, Toyota, and a few others. I used the ford intake manifold silver for my intake, and semi-gloss black for my brackets. All parts would need to be professionally done, or use the Hot Coat system. Your best bet is to sand/media blast, then coat. Cost???? depends on who,where,and color.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I once had an intake Jet-Hot coated, very easy to keep clean, but at first glance, it just looked too much like silver paint from a rattle can.

I've seen some manifolds that were powder coated with a silver/black "spider web" treatment and they looked better.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTophttp://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS

·
Registered
671 Posts
hey, yeah powder coating has a heat coat that goes up to like 600 degrees or something so its great for brackets/intakes/etc., but can't do exhausts with powder yet, i would have your intake powder coated with the high temp powder in silver would look great and last
jake

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have powdercoated two different manifolds that I have had on my car in the past 3 years and they look as good as the day I did them. I have been powder coating for a few years now, and I can tell you that it is the best coating you can use for that clean industructable look!

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.