Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My subframe was powder coated 2 years ago and I'd like to polish it up before I re-install the motor. What materials has anyone used to do this that you are happy with and what method was used?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i thought that powder coated parts were supposed to stay shiny, and just need to be cleaned off with soap and water. how has the powder coating stood up to usage? i am pondering doing that on my nova when i tear it apart..

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
19,839 Posts
I use to work for a manufacturer of powder coatings (10 years). There is no way I know of besides soap and water as said in above post.Any type of polish will mar the shine due to abrasives.Yes it's very durable. ( like plastic wrap for metal).Maybe in a small spot you could try to sand with 1000+ grit sandpaper and clearcoat it...where no one will see.Also remember the coating is only about 2 mil.s thick ( about as thick as a heafty bag )

good luck,and sorry.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Clean with soap and water then wax with regular car wax,works great.

Brian W

------------------
71 camaro 540 CI Th/400 3500stall,Cal-Tracs,4:10,1050 Dom on Pump Gas.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the subframe used and aside from just needing a clean up there were a few small areas that had some overspray on them that I cleaned up with fine compound. Other than that, it is just a little dingy. Thanks for the tips, guys. Looks like soap and water and some wax is in order.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have the Eastwood Hotcoat system,and the first time i used it it came out a little rough.It says you can wetsand and polish like regular paint.I sanded it with 1500 and buffed it and it looked great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts