Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 1968 Camaro with a 350/350 combo. A few days ago, I noticed a large loss of power in the form of I could not even get my tires to break loose when giving the car full gas. I had recently put on a new intake manifold and thought it had a vacuum leak, which it did, but I fixed it. Now I still have no power off idle and when I reach around 4-5g I have this strange rapid popping, backfiring, sound that seems to be coming from around the transmission area. I was thinking that it could possible be the torque converter because if that was going, it could explain my power loss? I'm really at a loss here.. can anyone please help?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------
94 Z28 Convertible
68 Camaro SS Clone

·
Registered
820 Posts
popping usually is a timing issue, check your timing, you mention you replaced the intake, which means you pulled the distributer, I had a similar issue where when I replaced the distributer I was off by about 1 wire, so it was close, but major loss in power, I pulled all the wires, remarked the cap and re installed the distributer, checking the timing, and it works great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i recently had the same problem a large popping at high rpms. Mine was due to worndown lobes on my camshaft. How is your cam? If the cam is good and the timing and firing order or good then go ahead and check the converter.

------------------
1967 camaro 327 coupe
Performance engine looks great, cherry red all flush

·
10,164 Posts
I would check cam and valve springs. You might have a broken exhaust spring near the end of the spring and it's floating the valve.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think if you hook up a vacuum gauge and rev the motor up and down slowly and see if the gauge is fluttering instead of moving smoothly then it could be a cam lobe or valve problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might want to check the timing chain if nothing else works. I had a timing chain in a 350 that had worn out and jumped 4 teeth, it caused that same popping under full throtle

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Make double sure that your plug wires are in the right order and that you dont have a couple of the flip-flopped. When you changed the intake, did you change the carb too? From your question, it doesnt sound like you did. What type of intake did you add? Make sure your jetting didnt get leaned out from the higher flowing intake. Also make sure you have a fresh fuel filter...a really plugged filter can cause the same symptoms.

------------------
375hp 78 Chevy truck
77 Chevy Nova
95 Chevy Lumina 3.4L
and building a 78 Nova

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just went through this on my car. Turned out my floats were set too high and the car was running very rich. Check out the post Can't Stomp My 396 in the troubleshooting forum.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts