Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have my floor pans and oyher parts to the bare metal.i want to prime them before i paint with por-15.will por stick to primed metal thanks Greg

·
Registered
579 Posts
it will but they say it sticks best to rough or rusted metal.if the floor is new bare metal i would use a self etching prime like duponts variprime or an epoxy primer.then topcoat it with por 15 topcoat like chasis black.if its original metal that you cleaned i might use por 15 on it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I bought POR-15, the rep told me that it likes rust better to adhere to. For POR-15 to work on bare metal, you must use a zinc phosphate primer. This is also available from the POR-15 distributor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greg,
POR-15 is designed to adhere to etched metal. To get the maximum benefits apply the POR-15 to the metal, do not prime first....actually you can think of POR-15 as the primer, but is also a finised product in areas where you do not wish to change to another color.

You didn't say how you removed the paint. If you have sandblasted, this is the perfect prep for the POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint. If you have chemically stripped the paint from the car, you may need to use our Marine Clean, and Metal Ready to prep.

If you would like more information, you can click on our link below, or give us a call at 800-225-7422.

Glenn www.por15cr.com

[This message has been edited by Glenn at Classic (edited 12-15-2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
You want the bond to be POR-15/bare metal. I've used all their products and they are long lasting and durable. As said, for bare metal, use marine clean ( degreaser ), then metal prep ( a phosphate etcher ), then POR-15. Their website has much good information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts