Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Guys / Gals,

I "finished" the POR Engine kit on the 327 this afternoon. I put finished in quotes because it is really going to need a second coat!

Although the pics I posted look pretty good, believe me, it really isn't that impressive right now. (2 hrs after completion.)

Unless this stuff does something amazing while it dries, I will be applying a second coat after the 24 hr drying time.

Here's a pic: (more pics on my site / URL below)

More pics: http://www.rmfsys.com/rmfracing/content/rebuild_engine_paint_por.html

Thanks to those of you who offered assistance. I'll post more pics after the second coat.

Regards,
Rob

------------------
69 Frame-off in progress (pics)

[This message has been edited by RFrenette (edited 07-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by RFrenette (edited 07-07-2002).]

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
nice! how are you applying the paint?
My brother and i use a touch up paint gun and spray it, it usually turns out alot nicer then when you paint it with a brush. It may depend on the color, but the Gold i used is alot better looking having been sprayed on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CNC.

I used a brush and follwed the directions to the letter!

I'll tell ya', the silver went on, and looked, GREAT and I was psyched to apply the orange. But, after the first coat, I'm a bit disappointed with the finish!

We'll see how it looks after the second coat...

Rob

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I used the POR orange on my old set of valve covers and on the old timing chain cover. I used chrome pieces on my engine, so they were "extra" parts. I painted with the silver and then the orange....Three coats of orange later, the parts went back into the blasting cabinet and I'll be using the common spray can to paint them.

I'm sure others have had better luck, but I'll never use POR engine enamel again....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks great man. Obviosly you worked alot on it and it payed off.
Course I am saying how good it looks and your saying it looks bad. Dont worry bout it though after another coat and when the engine is pieced together it will look great. You wont notice the little problems
Tim

[This message has been edited by tl757 (edited 07-07-2002).]

·
Registered
315 Posts
It took me three coats for mine to look good. It works better on cast surfaces. The oil pan had a few brush marks but the block and heads looked great. I have a big block with chrome valve covers so did not have to paint them too. I am also running a chrome timing chain cover.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words folks!

Question:
Do you think I should remove the paint from the timing chain gasket surface?

Also, will the Bill Hirsch product go on over teh POR Enamel? I may give that a shot IF the second / third coats don't pay off. I'm really not pleased with the first coat.

Thanks again,
Rob

------------------

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would remove the paint from all gasket surfaces. I usually use the new gaskets as a masking template. Looks good so far.
Al.

------------------
'69 Z28 (X77 D80 72 72)
302, GM Crossram, Steel Crossram Hood, Doug Nash 5 speed, 3.42's
Body Engine1 UnderHood

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rob,

I think you probably could apply the Bill Hirsch paint over the existing enamel. I have an information sheet around here somewhere from when they shipped me my paint. I could scan it and send it to you via e-mail if you're inetersted.

My engine turned out real well, and as kel said, it works better on the cast surfaces. I used a foam brush to put mine on and only painted the block, heads and water pump. It was black instead of orange which is probably more forgiving in the appearance department also.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jgreen,

I’d appreciate it if you could email that to [email protected] if you get a chance.

Thanks very much,
Rob

BTW:
Al,

That is one schweet ride you have there!

------------------

[This message has been edited by RFrenette (edited 07-08-2002).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts