Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like this paint, but it hasn't quite lived up to the claims that were made when I bought it.

Every part that I paint with POR15 gets sandblasted whether it's a new part or an old one, so I know that adhesion is at it's best. POR15 has failed on me twice, once with brake fluid and once with battery acid. Both brake fluid and battery acid really take that stuff off. My regulator went wacky and overcharged the battery which caused it to boil over. The battery tray, core support, inner fender and even the lower control arm have to be repainted!

I'm not bashing the product, just sharing what I've found to be it's limitations.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Others have also posted on the brake fluid problem. I had POR15'd my clutch z-bar and spilled some brake fluid on it. The POR15 bubbled off. Diasappointing. I'm going to repaint it with an epoxy paint. I like the chip resistance on a-arms, etc.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'm using DOT 5 silicone fluid in my system. It is not hydroscopic, and does not attack paint. Probably cost an extra $20 over auto parts store fluid.

Mine was easy, as I had all new brake lines, master, brake cyl. etc. I think you have to flush it out pretty well, when doing a conversion.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lefty....I did all required prep work PLUS sandblasted the surface to ensure the absolute best adhesion....There were no mistakes on my part. Brake fluid and battery acid are just too much for POR15.

I spoke with them after the failures and they then informed me that brake fluid and battery acid WILL take it off. That's different than what they originally said, but it's still a nice product.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Hmmmm - maybe I should use brake fluid instead of POR stripper!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that brake fluid only removes WANTED paint. Murphys law suggests that if you tried to use it as a stripper that the paint that you wanted to remove would not come off, but somehow in the process you would get the brake fluid on something that you didn't want stripped and of course the WANTED paint would be removed..... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts