Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if this is a run of the mill stock posi unit or if it is an aftermarket high performance posi unit?
This is out of a 8.2 10 bolt rearend.
The carrier has a US patent number(I guess) that reads: 4612825
And a canada patent number(I guess) that reads: 1987
then this number is below: D3J6
The spring retainer has this number in it: 504014
The ring gear says: GM 10-411EG37-9
Then under this it says: USA then what looks like a P over a G & then D6
This rearend had some beefy aftermarket axles that have a S with a line running horazontial through the middle of it.It also came with a
"TA performance" aluminum houseing cover.
I was wondreing if the posi unit was anything special.
Thanks for your time...Tom

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Probably an Auburn. How many springs are in it? If it has 4 springs then it is an Eaton, 5 springs is an Auburn. If it is an Auburn and it still works, enjoy it while it is working. They don't last long.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
They wear out and fill the rear end with powdered metal. They are not rebuildable. Don't do burnouts and it should be fine. If you change the oil you will probably have to use 2 bottles of additive instead of 1.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I think they use brass/bronze cone shaped clutches instead of auto tranny-like steel alternated with clutch disc's to create the locking mechanism that the spider gears under load push against to cause lock-up.

And the brass/bronze cones wear under big loadings whereas the regular plates like I'm talking about that are kinda patterned after auto tranny plates don't!!

Most any new car mag. we read will have an Auburn ad in it with a pic showing the brass/broze cones if you want to take a look at them.

pdq67

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Actually the cones and cups are steel. They wear quickly. You will see amny Auburn units being installed in the magazine stories and you will see a lot of them for sale because they are cheaper than the Eaton. Cheaper isn't better in this case.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
The big problem with the Auburn comes when you hold the brake and do a long burnout. If you just stomp on the gas and go then it will work fine. Be sure that the air pressure in the rear tires is equal and the tire diameter is equal. If one rear tire is taller than the other, even by just a little bit, it will cause the cones to wear rapidly. If one tire has more wear on it than the other then they need to be replaced, even with another brand of posi.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou for the tips.
I am running a m20 & this rearend has 4.11 gears that I am going to try for awhile & see what my gas bill looks like after the end of a month.
If I follow your advice with the tires...will the low gear ratio & 4 speed give the auburn a longer life?
Thankyou...Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.