Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much would it cost? im looking for a new rear end for my 77 nova and found that rear end for 400 bucks. is that a good deal, or could i find better?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is this a 8.5 inch 10-bolt? Plus what condition are the gears, posi unit and axels in? Hopefully, if it has been rebuilt, they
did it right so you don't wind up with gear whine or who knows what other problems. It won't be cheap to have to buy a new posi or a new ring and pinion and have it installed. Check out some professional rear-end builders and compare their prices with what you find used. If it's a nice car, and you want to keep it, might be worth getting a fresh rebuilt one from someone who will guarantee it. Or roll the dice and hope you get lucky......

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Is this rear end from a Trans Am? If it is it won't fit your Nova.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
why won't it fit his Nova? the Trans Am and the 77 Nova are the same underneath. i would think it would be a bolt-in operation.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea its off a trans am....what do you guys think? get it? 400 bucks too much? im about to get this thing running but would like to get this rear end while its in the garage. thanks

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
I'm no expert on the Nova, but I thought the Nova up to '77 or '78 (whenever the last rear wheel drive was made) was the same as the first generation Camaro underneith. If this is true then the second generation F body rear end will not work. If the Nova was changed in '75 with the new body then the T/A rear end may fit.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the 67-69 camaros share a chassis with the 68-74 nova. a 71-81 camaro is the same as a 75-79 nova. that rear should bolt in, but the price might be high unless it is all rebuilt and fully functional. or maybe that is what they go for...i guess i haven't really checked. but the bottom line is that it should fit. if not, get the rear, and use all the internal parts and brakes in the old housing. either way, you get the same result.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
novaderrik,
If you are right then there are a bunch of people on here that have been giving out wrong information. I have not had a '75 or later Nova rear end out to measure it, but I think I need to. Others here have been saying that all of the rear wheel drive Nova rear ends were the same as the '67-'69 Camaro. It makes sence that GM would use what was currently in production when they redesigned the Nova. If the '75-'79 Nova uses the same rear end as the second generation Camaro then that cuts down the number of 8.5s that I thought were available for the first generation Camaros.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Byars Performance

[This message has been edited by big gear head (edited 01-20-2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts