Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and have a 67 L78 that I am finally getting ready to restore. I have had the car since 1986. I started the process of contacting prior owners shortly after I initially purchased the Camaro, but after three owners I hit a dead end. Well, realizing how much documentation helps for the verification and value of a resto, I thought I would try again. I was able to get to one more prior owner before hitting another dead end – this guy brought the Camaro from California. What I am trying to deal with now is the new info I got from the additional contact and having a better sense of the questions to ask. The new info I have found is the car used to have 427 fender emblems, a single white stripe down the middle (hood, roof, trunk lid), and was raced (the guy that brought the car from CA bought the car in the early 70s with slicks on it). Two of the prior owners made a point of mentioning button snaps that were installed below the rear side windows that were ‘some dealer installed Yenko type thing’ - don’t have a clue what that is for, just can verify they are there. When I bought the car it had a hi-perf 327, an SS hood, Z-28 emblems (verified were added when the 427 emblems removed and the car was repainted), old traction bars, and fortunately all the remaining L78 features/components. The car is a 04D build, LA car with console/gauges, power windows, and tahoe torqouise paint.
So finally getting to my questions – I don’t have delusions of Dana Camaro grandeur (well ok, maybe a little), but there are enough clues to put me into a higher investigation gear.
· Does anyone know of a way to search for prior owners from a VIN of a vehicle older than 1980?
· Does anyone have a list of VINs for Camaro’s that Dana modified in 1967?
I have already purchased properly date coded L78 block and heads. I am under the assumption that pursuing a 427 route wouldn’t be worthwhile unless I can find some validating dealer paperwork – which is a near impossibility at this point. Any info/guidance would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Also post a picture of your old emblem holes.

Dana used a "Dana" emblem at least on some of the cars.

Hard to get but, an NICB report would help a lot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Brian,

As far as history goes, you can try the last state you believe it was titled in. Usually the DMV has a Title history request sheet. Some do not go back more then 10 years, but I got lucky and WV went all the way back.
Good luck with your search.

Derek

·
Registered
35 Posts
You and I are exactly is the same situation. My 67 L78 camaro is on the infamous Yenko vin list. Have been beating my brain out try to find info on car. Did find out it was shipped to Jack Shaw Chevy in Euclid, OH. Remember just because a car was shipped to a certain dealer doesn't mean it was sold there. Wish we could talk on the phone some how. Not good with computers but have more info.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You and I are exactly is the same situation. My 67 L78 camaro is on the infamous Yenko vin list. Have been beating my brain out try to find info on car. Did find out it was shipped to Jack Shaw Chevy in Euclid, OH. Remember just because a car was shipped to a certain dealer doesn't mean it was sold there. Wish we could talk on the phone some how. Not good with computers but have more info.
Wow, is yours a conversion car or just Yenko sold? I live in Northern KY and yours is the second Yenko car I have heard being found in the area. My dad told me a story of a white Yenko Chevelle from Newport KY owned by a guy nicknamed "Yenko Freddy" and a Yenko Camaro owned by a local woman. He said both would sit at a service station about 5 minutes from my house. I've heard that a couple of Yenko cars passed through or were sold at Queen City Chevrolet in Cincinnati. Obviously with Norwood being 10 minutes away there is alot of great Camaro history here.

Does anyone have any info on Queen City Chevrolet or know of the performance models sold at that dealership?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chris I have a cousin that lives in Clermont Co. OH.. A friend of his was over at his house one night and we were talking about COPO camaros. He said back in the day he went to Queen City with his girlfriend to buy a new camaro. While she and her dad were buying a 350 car he was on the lot checking out the Hi-Po stuff and there was 10 427 camaros a lined up together. Some were 4 speeds some automatics and all red. Of course this is just a story but my cousin said the guy was a striaight type person. I personally don't know anything about Queen City but have always heard it was a Hi-Po
dealer. Do you know anyone in the Cleveland area that might could help me with Jack Shaw Chevy?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow, is yours a conversion car or just Yenko sold? I live in Northern KY and yours is the second Yenko car I have heard being found in the area. My dad told me a story of a white Yenko Chevelle from Newport KY owned by a guy nicknamed "Yenko Freddy" and a Yenko Camaro owned by a local woman. He said both would sit at a service station about 5 minutes from my house. I've heard that a couple of Yenko cars passed through or were sold at Queen City Chevrolet in Cincinnati. Obviously with Norwood being 10 minutes away there is alot of great Camaro history here.

Does anyone have any info on Queen City Chevrolet or know of the performance models sold at that dealership?
I've heard of the yenko chevelle from Newport, i think it was sold a couple of years ago. As far as Queen city Chev. my dad bought some vehicles from there,i remember going there with him.
One of my memories when i was all of thirteen,his friend bought a brand new 1969 Z/28 and took us for a ride across the river on the I-75 bridge ,I knew there was something special about that car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As mentioned above the cowl tag is the best source for understanding what the car had as options from the factory....Post it and I`m sure someone can interpret it for you...Your lucky in a way because after the 67`s the information is not very good as far as options....Best source to analyze the car....only 1100+ 1967 L78`s were made....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry everyone. Was out of town over the weekend and been busy with football practices for three boys.

Don't have a picture of the trim tag or the inside of front fenders to see emblem holes. Don't know if I will get to those until the weekend. I have decoded the trim tag - and here are the characters:

ST 04D
TR 67 12437 LOS 32707
760-Z L-L
X 2LG 3K

Any info out there on Dana VINs?

Thanks for the input so far.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Decode for body number: 032707

04D = Built the Fourth week of April.
67-12437 = Standard Interior Coupe.
LOS = Built in Van Nuys California.
760 = Standard Black Bucket Seats.
Z = (A50) Strato Bucket Seats (without headrests).
L-L = Car Color is Tahoe Turquoise

Options:
1X = (A31) Power Windows
2L = (M21) 4-speed floor shifter
2G = (D55) Console front compartment
3K = (Z21) Deluxe exterior trim
4K = (L78) SS 396

1 - 15 of 15 Posts