Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I am currently working on a project and trying to figure out if my 69 vinyl top Camaro is a true Z/28.

It has Z/28 emblems but we all know that could be just a cover ;)
;)

The engine block number is 3932386 and the VIN is 124379L504274.

The only thing that makes me not think it is a true Z/28 is because it has an automatic transmission. This could have been changed though? I don't know too much about the history of the car except that he raced it quite often. This gem hasn't been driven since 84.

Pics are attached!

I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Here are a few things that can help narrow down your search for answers.

The A/T is definitely not original, so that is a red flag, but not a show stopper. The block casting number of 3932386 is correct. The pad stamp should have a 9L504274 on it. That should be on the passenger side of the block in front of the valve cover, or possibly back by the oil filter. Does it have a 12 bolt rear axle housing? Can you take a picture of the engine bay? Someone might know just by the VIN#, but that is long shot. The fact that it hasn't been driven since 1984 is bonus, there weren't too many people faking z/28's back then. Hopefully you won the lottery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you response! The next step was going to check if it has a 12 bolt rear axle. I will work on getting a photo of the engine bay today. The car is at my parents house so just need to wait for them to take a photo. Yeah I am hoping so too. So based on the block casting number, that matches up to a 302?

·
13,727 Posts
The block casting is also correct for a 327 and 350 so no help.

LA car is going to be hard to verify without undisputed documentation

Reactions: akxtreme

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it is a 2 speed power glide. Will confirm later today with photos. He definitely took it to the strip a ton. Found a sign up sheet to a track in her when I first bought her and found some tokens from some race track in LA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also something that is interesting is that the back Z/28 emblem was missing but there is a mark as if someone pried it off. Almost like a weld mark

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Another indicator to see if there was once a manual trans, is where the speedocable penetration on the firewall is. A picture there posted and one of us can tell ya that it might have once had a manual in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool cool! Fingers crossed this is a true Z/28. That would be pretty awesome and probably the buy of the century. My friend sold me this car for only 4k. I will get a ton of pics later today of the pedals, engine bay and shift console. Anything else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i would need to take a photo of the springs under the car? I was going to have my sister take the photos and I don't think she will get under it for me haha. I will have it at a shop by the end of the month and can lift it up and see

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,437 Posts
You should start your investigation with the drivetrain as this will offer more definitive evidence and eliminate a lot of second guessing. Start with the engine and try to locate the partial VIN along with the engine suffix code which is DZ for a 69 302 .

Welcome aboard !

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
If this car was raced most of the drive train is likely gone which makes Z28 basically an emblem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some photos that my mom just sent me. It looks like the engine suffix and partial vin isn't showing but my guess is that it needs to be filed down to see?

Hopefully these can help if not then I will just have to wait until I get to the house and can find the engine suffix code + partial vin or if I have to drop the fuel tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so no chance of it being converted to an auto based on the photo? I guess next step is checking the engine numbers and dropping the fuel tank. I still have hope :)

·
13,727 Posts
IMO the only thing that’s Z with this car is the emblem.

sorry but that’s the most likely

looks like an original auto. not possible with a Z

1 - 20 of 31 Posts