Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all! Long-time reader, first time poster, and very grateful for all the help I've gotten from posts here in the past. I'm (as always) working on my 1967 RS. Due to some unfortunate mouse damage, the present project is the interior. I have the original 1967 steering column, and would like to keep it. I've been trying to find an aftermarket wheel to fit it and Moto-Lita caught my eye. They have one "GM adaptor" which I suspect is for a 1969 or later column. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out what precisely was the difference with the older and newer steering columns. For reference, I've attached a drawing of the adaptor from Moto-Lita and the dimensions of the steering shaft on my original column are: shaft 3/4", spline outside diameter 11/16", 36-spline. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
The moto-lita wheels all seem to have that flat spoke type wheel. I think what you are asking is the differance in the hubs? Keep in mind that the 69 was one of the first locking type steering wheels so that requires the hardened plate that goes below the hub.

Would it be the same if you shopped for a early vette shallow wheel . You would need to use the specific hub for this and they do fit over the locking plates. Might pull up a first generation catalog and see what they have to offer in way of spoked wheels.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that probably is more the question - can a later steering wheel hub bolt to a 1967 column, or is it impossible? I know the column design changed with the ignition being moved and the locking feature, but I don't know if there's any difference in the actual mounting surface for a hub/size and splines of the steering shaft. It seems like it should be an easy thing to determine but an awful lot of googling hasn't determined what changed in 1969 and I don't have a later column around to compare...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts