Team Camaro Tech banner

721 - 740 of 757 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update : Just got my DIY lowering blocks done and installed. Cutting a 0.9" solid steel block with a basic angle grinder was hilarious...

Total rear drop : Hotchkis 1.5" drop multileafs + 0.9" solid steel lowering block. No spring pads.

Here's a pic with the lowering blocks installed.
No rubbing front or rear, but I'm afraid it can rub the rear lip when going over a bump or curb at an angle. So I will roll the fender lip a bit, not all the way around but from 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock down. At about 2 o'clock (drivers side, towards the rear) is the worst point on the lip imho.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quick correction to my previous post : My DIY lowering blocks were 1.2" thick but I removed the spring pad so the diff between now and then is 0.9"

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,242 Posts
Here's my current setup. The front tires are 215/70-R15's on 6" Wheel Vintique Chrome Rallys. The Rears are 255/60-R15's on 8" Chrome Rallys. I forget the backspacing, but will repost or edit next time I take the wheels off. The front has 2" drop from Hotchkis springs. The rear? LOL... tired mono leafs, but I'm gonna eventually switch to multi-leafs. Maybe it'll change the stance, but we're about to do the front end all over, add Helix upper and lower control arms, ProForged BJ's (tall uppers/reg lowers) and tie rod ends, Wilwood Calipers & M/C, CCP slotted rotors, and a JGC steering box. Soon I'll add new front and rear sway bars, maybe coil-overs down the road. The rear? I'm leaving t until maybe I find a Nova 8.5" and then I'll probably go with a Detroit Spring multi-leaf pack. I like a slight rake.

Wheels wise... I'm torn between the 17" or 18" school of thought and sticking with 15" wheels. I have always liked the Cragars on these cars more than any other aftermarket wheel. Someday I'll figure out which direction.

The car had a 2-1/2" exhaust and it was not hung well, rusty, and was hitting every time I went over a peanut. I replaced it with a full 3" PYPES SS system and only had to "massage" about 3" just past the DS shock... but no more exhaust pipes hitting. On a very steep driveway entry (mine), I get a tiny rub from only one direction, but never get the rub driving around ever.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm running a bone stock suspension set up. Big block springs up front and multi leaf springs in the rear. My car came out of restoration wearing 15x8 4.5" backspacing Rally's with 215/65/15's but I wanted a different look. I was torn between staying with 15" wheels or upgrading to 17's or larger. Until I saw a local Craigslist ad from a guy selling a set of like new 15" Torque Thrusts with tires from a 69 Camaro. He was replacing them with 18" wheels.

Since the guy was only about 4-5 miles away, I ran over to look at the wheels. He had already bolted on the new 18" wheels and I frankly just did NOT like the look. I grabbed the Torque Thrusts with tires for $850.00 and sold my 15" Rally's on Craigslist for $500.00.

My set up: AR polished Torque Thrusts. Front 15x7 with 4" backspacing with 225/60/15's. Rear 15x8.5 with 4.5" backspacing and 255/60/15's. I love the look.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Re: Pics??

So are all the pics in this thread gone forever? is there a way to view them? I see the upgrade for photo bucket, but not sure what to do? Thanks Guys....

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although most of the photo links have been broken in this thread I guess I'll attempt to revive it. I was one of the photobucket "casualties" on a number of other forums that didn't allow direct links from computers/twblets/phones like this one. I've resorted to using postimage.org . It's free and easy to use.

I'm not happy with the rears (not wide enough) but this is what I have for now. American Racing Torq-Thrust 17x8 (I think) all around with 225's in front and 255's rear. I've acquired the car as is without all the specs.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Although most of the photo links have been broken in this thread I guess I'll attempt to revive it. I was one of the photobucket "casualties" on a number of other forums that didn't allow direct links from computers/twblets/phones like this one. I've resorted to using postimage.org . It's free and easy to use.

I'm not happy with the rears (not wide enough) but this is what I have for now. American Racing Torq-Thrust 17x8 (I think) all around with 225's in front and 255's rear. I've acquired the car as is without all the specs.

Widest you can go is 275 without minitubbing the car. Is it worth spending money on new tires etc to gain three quarters of an inch?

Don

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
So I've read all 49 pages of this post and appreciate all the helpful information everyone has shared. I have a stock 1967 convertible and would like to put 18s on it. From all the posts that included 18s, it seems that folks are safely using the following:

Front - 18 x 8 with 4.5 inches of backspacing. 245/40/18 tires. Is this enough backspacing?
Rear - 18 x 9 with 5.25 inches of backspacing. 275/40/18 tires. This rear wheel/tire setup appeared several times.

I also see smaller:
Front - 18 x 7 with 4.25 inches of backspacing. 225/45/18 tires.
Rear - 18 x 8 with 4.5 inches of backspacing. 245/45/18 tires. is this backspacing correct? Should it also be 5.25 inches?

I would appreciate any and all thoughts or recommendations. I would like to use the largest tires without rubbing. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I personally don't like to drift to far from the original integrity of the great design of the first gen cars. I like a decent sidewall and not too large a tire/wheel combo to distract from the car and too large can cause issues that I am sure you read about and in some cases expensive mods to accommodate wheels that were not designed for the car. The ride can be compromised as well with "rubber band" tires. On my 35th Camaro I went with 17 x 8, "0" Foose Knuckles as I wanted something different than what everyone else has on all 4 with 255x45 and 235x35. The difference in "larger" is in many cases less than an inch. No issues and the car rides on stock suspension that is lowered 2". The only drawback is the ride is not as smooth as my one of my other 69's that is a 55k all original with 215-70-14!!!! Just an old guy talkin. . . .

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I personally don't like to drift to far from the original integrity of the great design of the first gen cars. I like a decent sidewall and not too large a tire/wheel combo to distract from the car and too large can cause issues that I am sure you read about and in some cases expensive mods to accommodate wheels that were not designed for the car. The ride can be compromised as well with "rubber band" tires. On my 35th Camaro I went with 17 x 8, "0" Foose Knuckles as I wanted something different than what everyone else has on all 4 with 255x45 and 235x35. The difference in "larger" is in many cases less than an inch. No issues and the car rides on stock suspension that is lowered 2". The only drawback is the ride is not as smooth as my one of my other 69's that is a 55k all original with 215-70-14!!!! Just an old guy talkin. . . .
As you've had or have 35 Camaros, do you have any experience with the specifications I mentioned in my post?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,242 Posts
This thread needs to stay alive, so I'll add my current setup:

Front is lowered about 2-1/2" to 3" combination of Hotchkis 2" springs, Helix tubular arms, and Global West .750" coil seats. Without the coil seats I couldn't turn the wheels it was too low (about a good 4" drop). The coil seats recover double their height so I got back 1-1/2" and all is well. Rear is just tired mono leafs that will be replaced with a multi leaf pack later this year. I'd like to keep it about where it is.

Front wheels are 8" X 17" with 4.750" backspace, tires are Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's 245/45-17.

Rear wheels are 9.5" X 17" with 5.500" backspace, tires are Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's 275/40-17.

Wheels are Budnik Famosa's the only issue I have is making a hard turn into a steep driveway gets the axle torqued and I get a monetary squeak as the inside tire grazes the exhaust pipe. I'm putting in a '72 Nova 8.5" 10-bolt POSI rear soon, and adding disc brakes as well... don't know if the disc setup moves the hub a 1/4" out or not... if it does, I might be golden. If not I'll have to re-customize the tailpipes because I like the polished tips coming out the way I set it up. The exhaust system is 3" SS PYPES and its a very tight fit but driving around... nothing hits.

·
Registered
781 Posts
all vehicles are just a little different so I never use one extreme or the other and have gone a little safe size wise

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Any experience with the specs I listed?

i would not a 18x8 up front with a 4.5" bs. I have run 3 different sets 18x8's up front on my 69. Sizes were...4.75" bs.....5"bs ....5.125" bs. The last set up fit best with no rubbing. My car sits low so makes for less room. For tires I have run 235/40/18 and 245/40/18. The 235's fit best IMHO.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
6D9,

Thanks. You confirmed my suspicion about using only 4.5 inches of backspacing. I appreciate your feedback. Now to find wheels with 5.125.

Peter

·
Registered
30 Posts
If anyone has a (or 225) 235/45/17, 255/45/17 (8"width) setup could you repost pictures and details? I am thinking of that combination and saw there were some on this thread but the photos are not showing up anymore?
Thanks

721 - 740 of 757 Posts