Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to probably keep the car, would all the undercarriage that should be black, devalue the car if it was powder coated. This is very possiable a rare car but I have no documentation to prove it. I have started the frame off restoration and I am undecided on paint or powder coat with out hurting the value of the car. Any opinion on this would be great.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i powdercoated all my chassis stuff....looks great, durable, never have to worry about it again....well worth it. BTW, with no documentation i wouldnt worry about being anal about originality. IMHO

------------------
The pike.net Pics of my 68

·
Registered
61 Posts
Crossram,

I would also do a search on POR-15. In my opinion it is about as tough as powder coating and I think the results from using it.

If you are going to drive the car, use something that will last. If you are just going to show and not drive the car, paint it.

Also, what ever you use to paint/powdercoat the car with, you should be able have it removed/sand blasted off if you need to.

Good luck,
Rick

·
Registered
61 Posts
Crossram,

I would also do a search on POR-15. In my opinion it is about as tough as powder coating and I think the results from using it.
If you are going to drive the car, use something that will last. If you are just going to show and not drive the car, paint it.
Also, what ever you use to paint/powdercoat the car with, you should be able have it removed/sand blasted off, if you need to.

Good luck,

[This message has been edited by Ricks68RS (edited 11-03-2001).]

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i was thinking about getting my new (used) subframe acid dipped and EDP coated-like new sheetmetal comes.i just need to fund a place around here that does it.i would paint the outside of the frame with a more durable and "correct" finish, but i think the coating would be good to have on the inside of the frame.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i was looking at powder coating, but what if it does get chipped? how do you touch it up? also, what about corrosion protection if it does chip? good paint will provide some protection even if it does get chipped or scratched.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have used powder coating on numerous Harley parts and projects. Its nearly bulletproof. Only problem i've found with it is it can get small surface scratches in it, but if so, a glazing/wax compound hides it nice. Also, if you do get a chip, which i have never had happen yet, you can mix the powder, (get a little from the shop) with acetone and dab it in the chip. (Got this tip from the shop that does my bike parts). I plan on using powder for my 69 suspension pieces too. Only way to go and you never need to mess with it again.
Go for it. Gulcher

1 - 11 of 11 Posts