Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the list of winter to-do's is to have the convertible top replaced on my car. I have decided to replace the white one with a black one. I would like to take the opportunity to cleanup the top frame at this time. Has anyone ever had the whole convert top frame powdercoated?

Thanks.

Elmer

------------------
1969 Camaro RS Convertible
406 SBC Accel Superram, 700R4, 3.55 12 bolt
DSE Modified Wayne Due suspension, 17" Budnik Prisms, Baer 13" 4 wheel discs, Recaro SRD's, Custom Detroit Speed dash
http://communities.msn.com/TheBearHunt/

·
Super Moderator
32,440 Posts
Powder-coating the frame is a good idea for most anything, I haven't done it myself, we do it to gov't equipment here in the plant. Looks very good.

Eastman has a home kit, but your problem would be in finding an oven big enough to stick the long bows into for baking. If you decide to go this route, buy a used oven for the garage, it does leave an odor inside the oven. I don't think your home partner would like the new scent in the kitchen oven.

Sometimes a plating shop does coating, as does strippers, look in the phone book.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Eastwood also offers an Infrared system. Might that work?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have a lot of powder coated parts on ILLGOTN. The subframe, most body brackets, hood latch assembly etc are coated. I want to know how difficult it is to remove and replace the top and if the coating might cause any binding of the mechanisms.

Thanks.

------------------
1969 Camaro RS Convertible
406 SBC Accel Superram, 700R4, 3.55 12 bolt
DSE Modified Wayne Due suspension, 17" Budnik Prisms, Baer 13" 4 wheel discs, Recaro SRD's, Custom Detroit Speed dash
http://communities.msn.com/TheBearHunt/

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I had all my top bows and hardware powdercoated and it all looks excellent. Just take lots of pictures so you can put it all back together and draw lots of diagrams and where each part goes so you can get all back in the same places and in the correst positions.

If you do go the powder route, make sure that you tell them not to coat areas where the set screws go into or areas where threaded bolts go into unless you want to chase these areas when you get it all back. Even at that I still had to clean up some areas so I could get bolts back in.

------------------
Jim
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you should have no problem with the top or any of the mechanisms, after powdercoating. i have 3 converts and i have already powdercoated one of them. it looks great!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey I've got a better idea for you... Ever heard of POR15...? It's as tough as powder coating at a fraction of the cost! I use it for almost everything that I've restored on my car so far. I've literally beat on the finished parts with a ball peen hammer to demonstrate its durability to folks not familier with this product. Check out their website for more information. Oh and to give you an idea of the cost... I spent $44.00 to cover my subframe, control arms, spindles, cross member, centerlink and idler arm, trans crossmember and still have 2/3 a quart left. Check out my website and go to the suspension area to see how this stuff fininshes... You won't be dissapointed

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts