Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Restoring The Frame Of My First Gen Camaro And Am Unsure Wether To Paint It Or Powdercoat It. Anybody Have Any Thoughts.......?? I Heard Powdercoat Is Bulletproof Against Rock Chips Etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not sure how the market is for powder coating where you are. Someone has to have an oven large enough for the frame. Seems like a bit of overkill to me. I have had good luck with POR-15,then the POR primer, and finish up with a chassis black or for even better protection, a catylized final coat. I assume this is a driver and not a show car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had an entire full-perimeter frame from a 1965 GTO powdercoated for much less than bodyshops wanted at the time to have it prepped and painted with regular automotive paint. I also did the a-arms, rear trailing arms and the driveshaft. I was thrilled with the results. Yes, it is impervious to rock chips and gas/oil. But it will not hold up to lacquer thinner (it dulls the sheen), so make sure you do not get paint overspray on it. It will be impossible to clean. The material goes on fairly thick but will not hide any imperfections, so if you want the subframe super smooth, you'll need to grind the welds and fill in any pits with a special filler. Eastwood sells it. The purists will correctly point out that the finish is not "correct", but I was more interested in durability and keeping it clean.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had mine powdercoated, plus all the components like a-arms sway bar, etc. Done for $200.00 at a local shop. It was much cheaper than to have it bead blasted and painted. Plus its more durable that paint. If you doing it yourself "Paint that is" It will be much cheaper. I had a friend do his 67 Camaro for less than $100.00, but he had all the equipment "SandBlaster, Paint Guns & Compressor". I dont have any of that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts