Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original steering box on my 69 is shot, before I replaced it I wanted to hear the pros and cons of each version of steering. When the steering was in good condition I was too young to drive it so I have no idea what the drive will be like on the highway. I am updating the suspension and such as well so it will handle better but I want to make sure if I stayed manual that steering will be tight at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Manual is sure tempting because it's so simple.

My parents' Chevelle 396 with manual steering was a nightmare to drive in parking lots and parallel parking. I remember my mom having to use both hands on one side of the wheel pulling down with all her strength to turn it.

On the highway or just driving it should be A-OK, though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, I will stay manual then, I have only been in situations where I needed to parallel park a couple times in my life :)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My 68 was OE with manual steering. When I first got the car and the front steering was junk it was a bear to drive. With all new steering components and front end properly aligned it's just fine. I drive it around town often in/out of parking spaces, U-turns, etc. with no issues at all. On the highway it's very stable.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I also think that 'road guys' liked the manual steering better than power back then, as to me it feels more more direct and precise than the old power steering. Don't get me wrong, I really like the way old power steering feels with it's now-ridiculous ratio, but in terms of being in real control of the car, manual steering is the way to go. As others have said, it is slightly harder to deal with at low to no speeds. I could see why women would hate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts