Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I had the radio playing in my camaro and then the power flickered and then it went out totally for a minute or so and then it came back on and was fine. I lost total power, interior lights went out, radio off, no power at all. It was like someone unhooked the battery cable? What could be causing this? ANy suggestions. I would hate to have this problem while I was driving it down the highway or at a stop light :confused:

Kevin

·
Retired
16,005 Posts
Kevin Id start checking connections first. Cables on the battery, the ground tag wire to the fender, the HOT cable to the splitter block behind the battery, the ground on the block. Check fuse block with 12v meter to see if you have power that far. Kinda hit and miss but guessing the flickering is a ground issue. Seems they are the biggest problem with elec. on our old cars.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
We see a lot of this on 60's-70's Corvettes, and it's usually corroded terminals on the 12-ga. red main power feed wire in the bulkhead connector on the engine side of the fuse block. The terminals corrode, resistance increases (which causes heat), and the hot terminals actually melt the plastic cavity around that mating pair of terminals in the connector as a result, causing intermittent contact and intermittent total power failure.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys
I havent had a chance to look at it, but the power went out again while I was driving it (luckily it was right in front of my house)and I popped the hood and wiggle the +power cable and it came back on. So I am thinking its either the main cable or possibly the smaller cable coming off the main cable going to the power splitter behind the battery. I don't have the ground tag wire to the fender anymore.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Well its time to clean up the connections, reseat the power connections, and GET A GROUND TO FENDER wired up! Seriously, thats a pretty important ground, you can't depend on everything to go thru the engine to ground. I recommend getting an 8-10 gauge wire and connecting it up cleanly to the fender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts