Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's i need a little help here. I recently bought a 68 camaro without power steering. I am going to install power steering on the car this winter, my question is, can i use the pump and bracket's off of any other GM car or truck? it has the long water pump on it and i was told i could use the bracket's off of a 83-87 chevy pickup with the long water pump. i have already bought the steering box, just need some help on this issue. Also, how can you tell if a steering column is bad? Thank's guy's and everyone have a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year

·
Registered
51 Posts
I probably dont have the exact answer your looking for but I have a 68 with a 396 and power steering. I ended up getting the brackets from Classic Ind. and a pully from a local junk yard, "the pully needed to sit back over the water pump" Everything now lines up. Good luck

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm not sure how the 83-87 Pick up system looks, but generally if you get the entire system you should be O.K.
Some areas to beware of:

1.Is the alternator on the same side between the systems you have and want?

2.Is there an air pump on the new system that will get in the way?

3. Are the cylinder heads late model heads (after 1969) with tapped holes on the end of the passengers side front, for mounting ?

The rag joint flange on the gearbox, and pitman arm will change.

I'm not sure about your steering shaft question, do you see a lot of play at the bearings?

TTFN
Mat

ome systems have the alternator on the

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. THE 83-87 CHEVY TRUCK WILL WORK FOR ME. AS FAR AS THE STEERING COLUMN GOES, IT'S REALLY HARD TO TURN WHEN TURNING INTO ANOTHER STREET. I KNOW MOST OF IT IS BECAUSE IT IS MANUAL STEERING, BUT IT JUST SEEMS UNUSUALLY HARD TO TURN, BUT THERE IS SOME PLAY IN THE WHEEL. THANKS AGAIN GUY'S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts