Team Camaro Tech banner

Power steering Box outlet question

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dawg 
#1 ·
On a Saginaw 400 Steering box which is the HP side and which is the Return side? I got so many different answers in Confused now. I thought the right fitting was the HP side?

See less See more
#5 ·
High pressure is on the left, the engine side. Should be the smaller port. Usually has a check valve below the inlet, which can be seen (shiny object blocking the port). The check valve prevents steering wheel kick back surge to the pump and pressure line. I imagine it prevents blowing the line if you hit a curb making a U turn.

#6 ·
thanks Guys, I tried the power steering today and just saw the replies. I had 4 people say the return is the right fitting (closest to Firewall) and HP is right fitting. got it all assembled and bled the system and fired up the car. no power steering? I was thinking the relief valve was stuck. But I see the hoses are in wrong locations.

#7 · (Edited)
Ok swapped lines HP on left and RTN on right fitting.
Upon firing up the wheel spun very fast to the left against the stops?
I had to fight the resistance of the steering wheel to get it centered but once I let go it went back to the stops?
I disconnected the HP line and put end in a clear plastic bottle. I got about 2 oz in 2 seconds. The Power steering Box is a Saginaw 400 series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.