Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering box is leaking and my mechanic told me that it would not make sense to rebuild it as it would probably just leak again. I can get a rebuild kit for $72 bucks (plus labor) a new box would set me back 2-3 hundred (plus labor)

Anyone had any experience rebuilding one of these?

Are the aftermarket ones from classic or ricks good quality?

thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can tell you that the 68-72 chevelle steering boxes are the same also. Get one from a junk yard, or the parts trader magazines. Theres plenty out there. A rebuild would most likely work unless it was in the shape mine was in.
You can get the quick ratio units out of the 82-87 monte SS and Buick Grand Nationals. But you'll need a special rag joint to make it work. I was told the mid 80 truck rag joints will do the swap.

D

·
0 Posts
I rebuilt my on my 68. It was a complete kit and was not that difficult to do. I think the kit was about $25. That was over a year ago and I haven't had any problems. It was leaking and would growl at full turn before the rebuild.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Mine was also leaking and I found a local shop that rebuilds them. I asked if they could just fix the seal but they said no and showed me one disassembled. There is a ton of seals inside and just replacing one on the outside doesn't do the trick. Once they take it apart you might as well rebuild it.

I was going to swap mine for a rebuilt unit until we checked the ratio and it turned out to be a 2-1/4 turn box! It cost me $150 to have it completely rebuilt. However, they also found some real nasty metallic grit inside so I have to pull the pump and take a look inside that now. At the very least it needs flushed but I think I'll replace it too just to be safe.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts