Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally running but i have a steering issue. The box goes left a little and locks up when it gets to a point. If i shut down and recenter it repeats, so its a valve problem. Turn 1 is sold out. AGR’s web site is wacko but Summit and Jegs are out. Napa’s out and I avoid Advance and Autozone lately so……..
its rebuild time. Any pointers?

·
Super Moderator
33,186 Posts
There are other vendors for boxes. I'd replace it if me. Simpler.

·
Registered
1969 Camaro SS350
374 Posts
I am finally running but i have a steering issue. The box goes left a little and locks up when it gets to a point. If i shut down and recenter it repeats, so its a valve problem. Turn 1 is sold out. AGR’s web site is wacko but Summit and Jegs are out. Napa’s out and I avoid Advance and Autozone lately so……..
its rebuild time. Any pointers?
Not sure were your located but I had Redhead out of Auburn, Washington redo mine. Works great and did a nice job on polishing top and powder coating body

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
I recently rebuilt two steering boxes for my other hobby car and it was cheap, fun and very effective. I would try it if you have the confidence.

on box #2, i couldn’t get it to move through the full range without binding and after taking it back apart a couple times, realized i had lost 2 ball bearings. Replaced them and it moved normally again.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doug, did you get a rebuilt or a new one?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,495 Posts
Temporarily, if your box is that bad, why not throw in a a Jeep Grand Cherokee box from a Pick'n Pull yard? Or if you're really lucky, find someone parting out a IROC or MonteCarlo SS? Trick is finding a decent candidate. I lucked out, got my '96 JGC from a local guy who was parting out his sister's T-Boned Jeep. All the damage was on the passenger side from the firewall back. Its been in the car for years now and dry as a bone... had about 95-100K miles on it when I bought it for $45! There's alway several on eBay, and if you use Search Tempest for CL you might find a JGC or an IROC box there as well.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Temporarily, if your box is that bad, why not throw in a a Jeep Grand Cherokee box from a Pick'n Pull yard? Or if you're really lucky, find someone parting out a IROC or MonteCarlo SS? Trick is finding a decent candidate. I lucked out, got my '96 JGC from a local guy who was parting out his sister's T-Boned Jeep. All the damage was on the passenger side from the firewall back. Its been in the car for years now and dry as a bone... had about 95-100K miles on it when I bought it for $45!
Around me, the junkyards are pretty much all 2000s and newer now. some 90s imports. No more IROC's or JGC parked out there anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boneyards are thinning out here both in number and size. I think i am going to wind up with a Lares. Dunno where from yet as they seem thin too. Speedway is selling their new box cheaper than the rebuilt. Neither Summit or Jegs have the iroc version.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts