Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does a person do when you have a 69 RS/SS with a 383 with dart heads, comp headers, and power steering? My PS was leaking so I took it out to fix it and realize that the bracket that was on it belongs to a 68. I purchased a 69 bracket set to find out that it only works with the exhaust manifold. Is there a kit or a bracket that I can buy? I don't have the time or the skills to properly fabricate one.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
First of all, Do you have a short or long water pump ? The reason I ask is that 67 and 68's should be a short water pump. 1969 should have long water pumps. The 1969 power steering set up consists of three brackets. A cradle bracket that mounts to the water pump (long water pump). Another bracket that is the adjuster bracket on the power steering pump. One more bracket that you bolt to the engine mount and your front header exhaust bolt. You put a spacer approx. 1 1/2 on a 2" long bolt (3/8 diameter) after the bracket,
and you use it for your front header bolt.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
First of all, Do you have a short or long water pump ? The reason I ask is that 67 and 68's should be a short water pump. 1969 should have long water pumps. The 1969 power steering set up consists of three brackets. A cradle bracket that mounts to the water pump (long water pump). Another bracket that is the adjuster bracket on the power steering pump. One more bracket that you bolt to the engine mount and your front header exhaust bolt. You put a spacer approx. 1 1/2 on a 2" long bolt (3/8 diameter) after the bracket,
and you use it for your front header bolt.
Are these the brackets you described ?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
The first two look correct, but that third one, looks like something for a foreign car. I have no idea what that is.
Look at this link at Classic Industries : http://www.classicindustries.com/ search for part # 3959558

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. My backet does not look like the one in the photos. It is the one referenced in the Classic Industries link. I ordered mine from Ricks 1st Gen. Nevertheless, I will try the spacer. I'm surprised someone has not fabricated a made to order piece for something that I guess is a common issue. Thaks for all your help.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Most header manufacturers offer a spacer for the power steering brackets, and places like Trans Dapt make them too.

TJs question about long vs. short water pump on the engine now was an important one. If the block-mounted 68 power steering bracket fit and everything lined up okay, you probably have a short water pump and the 69 brackets (for a long water pump) won't work.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
The bracket from the exhaust manifold to the power steering bracket is a 90 degree bent bracket. If that is the one you are talking about there are 2 ways to remedy it.

1st bolt the bracket to the power steering bracket and make a spacer to go between the bracket and front header bolt. You will also have to have a longer bolt.

2nd is if you dont have the 90 degree bracket. Find some 1" flat bar 1/4" thick. It will bolt to the bottom bolt on the front of your head. Then bolt it to the bracket. When you pull up on the pump the bracket will swivel up. You might have to put some washer spacers between the pump bracket and the flat bar for proper alighment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts