Team Camaro Tech banner

power steering coupler

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  cody 
#1 ·
I already posted a question about this but nobody seemed to have a clear answer. MY question is I took and 81 fast ratio steering box and put it on my 71 camaro the only problem is the couplers differ. THe original is big and the 81 is smaller because the input shaft is smaller. I got a response that year one had the right coupler. but i have the coupler of the 81 it is smaller and i dont see how it would fit on my 71 steering shaft. Also I dont see how it would come off there are no bolts like on my 71 just some kind of rivet. somebody said to use an adaptor off of a late 70 pickup but that doesn't seem right. If anybody has any ideas it would be very appreciated.

#2 ·
There are several different couplings. Manual small dia. 30 spline count, power large dia. 36 spline count, tilt that has a separate bolt-on top coupling half and the standard top coupling half that is welded to the steering shaft.

The rag joint is serviced as a cheap aftermarket kit for about $10.00. Usually you just get the complete bottom half of the coupling. At least thats what I got when I ordered a tilt coupling. It also came w/ hard plastic pieces that fit into the tilt top half to take up the slack and they appear to be fine. pdq67

#3 ·
This still leaves me slightly confused but i did forget to mention that the car I got the 81 coupler and power box was a tilt car and mine isn'. Does this change the coupler If the coupler is so cheap where do I get it and how cheap is it? Is my problem that I was comparing a 71 non-tilt coupler to a 81 Tilt coupler and if I had a 81 non tilt coupler it would work, because the new coupler looks much smaller than the 71 and it seems like it would not bolt up even if I could get it off.

#4 ·
I put a box from an 80 Z28 on my 67. The new box didn't have a rag joint and I found as you did that the shaft was smaller on the new box. I hit the junkyard and found that cars from the late 70's had the small shaft and also bolted up to the 67 steering column.

#5 ·
Also I don't think I have a large diameter spline because that was the main problem, the coupler I had was too big for the newer fast ratio steering box, I might just be confusing myself and this is a lot easier then it appears but your help is appreciated!

#6 ·
I had the same problem. My 67 rag joint was too big for the new box. The late 70's boxes had small shafts but still bolted to the column the same way. At some point around 1980 they went to the type you have now. Check out some late 70"s GM cars in the junkyard and you'll find the one you need. I found one in perfect shape and paid five bucks for it.

#8 ·
The hard plastic pieces are assembly alignment aids that hold the upper and lower couplings in correct alignment until all the attachments inside at the toe pan are made; once everything is tight, they are supposed to be removed (otherwise they will transmit noise and vibration from the lower half to the upper half, which is then amplified by the steering column). See the A.I.M., UPC 9, Sheet A6.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

#9 ·
cody,

One thing about this place is that if one guy doesn't have all of the right answers, chances are somebody will come by and give you the whole story pretty quick.

As for myself, I learned a thing or two about late model couplings, and Thx JohnZ for the advice about the plastic spacers. I thought they were spacers because they are hard enough and fit sooo good that I just figured they were. pdq67

#10 ·
Hi cody,

I got mine from lees manufacturing in sun valley, ca.IT was $50 but has a wire mesh impregnated rag joint that is superior to the stock rubber unit.In my case I didnt have the time to get one from a junk yard.The people at lees were friendly and knowledgeable.

#11 ·
John Z,
I just cleaned my 67 PS box, getting ready to send it out to be rebuilt, the dealer installed it back in 67 on my Camaro as a dealer installed option.
The mechanic left the plastic pieces on the coupler!
Guess he didn't read the instructions.
Is there anywhere I can buy steering box parts for rebuild?
I'm thinking about doing mine myself, I'll probably sober up soon and do the right thing and send it out!

David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

#12 ·
I don't know where to get rebuild parts but you can get a fast ratio box used from the junkyard off a iroc or other early-late eightys performance car easily and cheap. YOu need to get the pump and hoses too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.