Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my 69 from a manual steering to a power steering car. I had an old power steering pump that I used for a core, this pump had a press on pulley so I matched it at the local auto parts. The pump fits fine but I need some kind of nipple for the high pressure side located at the pump. The new pump did not come with this fitting. Can anyone tell me what will work? :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
You could call around to some parts/repair places to find a place that makes hydraulic lines. They can make you a pressure hose but you'd have to bring in your pump and maybe the gearbox, too, so they could make sure the fittings worked. I had my pressure hose made this way; cost around $26.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
I agree with Ratchet, I blew my high pressure hose and my NAPA store is an authorized dealer for high pressure hoses. In Minn. you cant make them without training and a special license since brakes and steering hoses are very dangerous if done wrong.
NAPA had all the special brass fittings and equipment to make your new hose for you.
Do a search in 'Trouble shooting' or 'Tech' section and you should find some posts with the exact sizes of the hoses and fittings.
The original 69 p.s. pump has a 90 degree fitting that exits the pump in back and immediately drops down with the fitting, the hose then runs adjacent to the motor mount and then up and around to the gear box with another 90 degree fitting into that. There are also a special clamp that bolts to the engine mount bolt to hold the p.s. hose there,another clamp that bolts to the gear box to hold both high and low pressure hoses, they are found in some resto catalogs.
Hope that helps

[ 03-09-2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: click ]

·
10,153 Posts
If the pump you bought is a rebuilt pump, they usually come without the pressure outlet fitting. You are supposed to swap over your old outlet fitting from your old pump.
You need to have the spring in there first, then a spool valve with the nut end forward, then the outlet fitting goes in with an O ring around it.

The outlet fitting has a straight male end. The hose you need will have a female flare nut and it will have a 90 deg bend downward to go around the bottom of the motor mount.
David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts