Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m new to the forum, recently purchased a 69 Camaro with 454 and tremec 5 speed. A few isssues with car, but not too bad. It has power steering and I have absolutely no road feel, it turns way too easy for me, I don’t like it. What is the simplest fix for this, remove pump belt? Or do I need to change steering box to a manual box? Any advice would be appreciated.

· Registered
797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I don't have a full answer for your question, but if the power steering pump is the original GM model, it has a metering valve for fluid flow that can be changed and may resolve your issue. It sounds like your new car has been modified by the PO and may have the wrong pump for the 60s application although it will work. Pictures would help identify the pump and everyone likes pictures of your car too when the forum will let you post them. I think there was a 10 post requirement or something before you can post pictures.

· Registered
4,342 Posts
Change your steering box to a quick ratio. Go new with a $500+ Borgeson box or rebuilt from the parts store, IROC 12:1 box for $150 and the adapters from Lee. I have been very satisfied with the IROC boxes. A smaller steering wheel helps as well. Welcome to the sight.

· Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
911 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I understand your issue as I have a similar issue on my 68 that has hydra boost and quick ratio box (2.5 turns lock to lock). Mine gets really squirrelly when smoking the tires the higher the rpms get. Very unsettling.
I am getting ready to install QA1 control arms and these have a built in increased negative caster that is supposed to allow the steering to act as a modern car does which is make the steering return to center much more easily. I am looking forward to this.
Here is how the steering was designed back in the day. If you remember all cars were manual steering which was a biotch to drive, then engineers came out with power steering, which made for one finger turning but there was no natural return to center and road feel was not great to say the least. Although it was real easy to turn, you had to physically turn it back to get to straight line center.
If you look up Dave Pozzi Racing on this forum, he has dissected the gen 1 steering issue to a tee. The optimum steering angle adjustment is about +5 to +6* caster, to which the aftermarket control arms are supposed to achieve along with a good alignment. Then theres added camber but in my case the QA1 arms dont change the camber angle unless you go to the pro touring style arms.

· Premium Member
1,260 Posts
I have a 12.7:1 steering box on my car and I wish it were more like 14:1 for street driving, but I don't want to pay what it will cost to have it changed. A smaller steering wheel will make your steering even quicker. I had a manual box that came OEM on the car, but you definitely don't want manual steering, great when you're moving, a hand full when trying to park, etc. If your steering feels too light across the full range then perhaps a variable ratio box would provide more of the feel you are looking for. Give Lee Power Steering a call and see what they recommend. They can do pretty much anything you want, but they aren't cheap.

· Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I understand your issue as I have a similar issue on my 68 that has hydra boost and quick ratio box (2.5 turns lock to lock). Mine gets really squirrelly when smoking the tires the higher the rpms get. Very unsettling.
I am getting ready to install QA1 control arms and these have a built in increased negative caster that is supposed to allow the steering to act as a modern car does which is make the steering return to center much more easily. I am looking forward to this.
Here is how the steering was designed back in the day. If you remember all cars were manual steering which was a biotch to drive, then engineers came out with power steering, which made for one finger turning but there was no natural return to center and road feel was not great to say the least. Although it was real easy to turn, you had to physically turn it back to get to straight line center.
If you look up Dave Pozzi Racing on this forum, he has dissected the gen 1 steering issue to a tee. The optimum steering angle adjustment is about -5* caster, to which the aftermarket control arms are supposed to achieve along with a good alignment.
I think there might be a couple of typos in your reply above The control arms will provide increased positive caster and Pozzi recommended 5-6 deg positive and 0.5 deg negative camber.

· Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
911 Posts
Thanks, I keep getting the +- caster mixed up when having to write it down. Sorry for the typos, still waiting for my first cup of coffee. ;0)

· Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Thanks, I keep getting the +- caster mixed up when having to write it down. Sorry for the typos, still waiting for my first cup of coffee. ;0)
Happy to help. I needed 3 cups before attempting any posts. 😁

· Registered
1,314 Posts
Hi I’m new to the forum, recently purchased a 69 Camaro with 454 and tremec 5 speed. A few isssues with car, but not too bad. It has power steering and I have absolutely no road feel, it turns way too easy for me, I don’t like it. What is the simplest fix for this, remove pump belt? Or do I need to change steering box to a manual box? Any advice would be appreciated.
Let’s examine this shall we.

The OP recently purchased the car, so he’s learning how it runs, drives, stops,
and all the quirks that come with it-as we all learn when we buy any vehicle.

What exactly is “No road feel”? What speed are you referring to when this happens and what is happening? So we understand what he’s experiencing, please let the OP answer this.

”it turns way too easy for me, I don’t like it“ Well, it’s power steering AND it’s supposed to be easy.

Removing the belt is never a good idea. So either a different ratio steering box or a manual box is obviously in you future. But it you want to experience manual steering, cut or remove the belt and drive it for awhile.

There‘s some great ideas guys, but I’m sure when we hear back from the OP, we’ll find out more.

· Premium Member
911 Posts
First thing I would do if I was him is get the front end aligned. The caster may be so far off he may get that feeling of all the weight in rear of car and steering axle seems like its barely touching the ground (overloaded fork lift) lol. Then go from there.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a suspension kit and new ball joints,etc coming . After that I will get it aligned. I have had several older muscle cars, none with power steering. I just sold a 62 BelAir bubble top 409, 4 speed. So I have a lot of experience with older cars, this steering is so light at a dead stop with 1 finger you can turn lock to lock.it does feel like StevieBB454 suggested that there is no weight on front end, so hopefully after rebuilding front end it will be better or I will change to a manual box.

· Registered
2,293 Posts
Why would you change to manual steering? I'm running a 12:1 AGR box and love it. AGR, Borgeson are good, Turn 1 = best but $ .. I absolutely love the feel of my AGR box, Gen2 p/s pump, remote reservoir and Derale p/s cooler.. so far it's a great system

· Registered
1,314 Posts
As per the OP:
I have had several older muscle cars, none with power steering.

Knowing this as stated, I believe there is nothing wrong with the car. Perhaps it's a learning curve. There is no mention of pull, shake, shimmy or otherwise.

· Premium Member
1,411 Posts
As per the OP:
I have had several older muscle cars, none with power steering.

Knowing this as stated, I believe there is nothing wrong with the car. Perhaps it's a learning curve. There is no mention of pull, shake, shimmy or otherwise.
Road feel is the feedback you get in the steering. Too much power assist takes this away, this was fine back in the day for a big Cadillac but not so great for a pony car. All of these cars handled like crap, and there are major improvements made with a few well chosen upgrades.

· Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
1,312 Posts
Excessive response/touchy steering: This is generally caused by excessive pump pressure, Borgeson offers a pressure reduction kit (part number 899001) that will allow the customer to adjust the internal bypass pressure of the P/S pump

· Premium Member
66 Posts
I have a suspension kit and new ball joints,etc coming . After that I will get it aligned. I have had several older muscle cars, none with power steering. I just sold a 62 BelAir bubble top 409, 4 speed. So I have a lot of experience with older cars, this steering is so light at a dead stop with 1 finger you can turn lock to lock.it does feel like StevieBB454 suggested that there is no weight on front end, so hopefully after rebuilding front end it will be better or I will change to a manual box.
Sounds like it’s higher pressure than needed as W.O.W said, May need to tune it down. As far as ease of turning with OEM PS, my 60 Bonneville can turn lock to lock with a single finger and it’s 100% original, never rebuilt (86k original miles).

· Registered
Many
22 Posts
I understand what the OP is saying. I have the exact same problem with my 69 BB Camaro. It's as it there is no resistance to turning the wheel, the slightest movement of the wheel will cause the car to swerve. It feels the same as if you lifted the front tires off the ground and turn the wheel.

I'm scheduled to get the alignment done and I was planning on getting a new steering box and pump.

Thanks
Craig

· Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Those who have driven 67, 68, and 69 Camaros in original condition can attest that the 67 power steering boxes have the worst ratio and feel(aside from manual), one finger steering. Standard 68/69 variable ratio boxes offer much better road feel. OP’s Camaro could simply have a 67 box in it.

Smaller steering wheel gives same output for less distance your hand moves. Don’t do a fast ratio box and small wheel(smaller than the comfort grip). It’s overkill on the street.

· Registered
797 Posts
Also check the pitman arm off of the steering box. If someone converted it to power and didn't change the pitman arm to the longer one (~1") for power steering, it could make a little difference in the amount of pressure required by the pump.
Just $.02, but charge is waived.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts