Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Also check the pitman arm off of the steering box. If someone converted it to power and didn't change the pitman arm to the longer one (~1") for power steering, it could make a little difference in the amount of pressure required by the pump.
Just $.02, but charge is waived.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Looking at the posts from most here I wonder how many have come from those with hands on experience. A power steering box reqiures a specified pump pressure, playing with or lowering the pump pressure is not the answer. (as if you have a clue how to even do this) What is proven to work is a using a more modern steering box which generally works at higher pump pressures and improved suspension / steering geometry. Honestly the random opinions here are getting as bad as Facebook.

• Haha
Reactions: Worn Out Welder

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Looking at the posts from most here I wonder how many have come from those with hands on experience. A power steering box reqiures a specified pump pressure, playing with or lowering the pump pressure is not the answer. (as if you have a clue how to even do this) What is proven to work is a using a more modern steering box which generally works at higher pump pressures and improved suspension / steering geometry. Honestly the random opinions here are getting as bad as Facebook.
I think most (myself included) are suggesting mismatched systems where the pump pressure may be too high for the OEM box. OP said it has a 454 and Tremec so I’m assuming its not an original pump. I’m wondering if the pump not correct.

Other issue is just that many of the OEM PS pressures / systems were just strong enough to allow minimal effort such as my Pontiac and OP is just not used to it. Others have suggested it’s normal to have it that effortless. My only experience with Camaro (had a 76) steering is a manual box (had power in my 76 Trans Am) so I’m curious about this as well.

Heck, it may be both problems.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It’s never a good idea to question the experience level of those who reply, unless its egregiously wrong, dangerous, or inconceivable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you all for your advice, I take no offense to what some people may think. Several have suggested the Iroc box, from the Iroc Camaros? What year and associated parts would I need for it to be compatible? Hopefully after front suspension rebuild it will be better also. It is hairy driving this, the slightest twitch and the car is turning that direction. I really don’t care for power steering, it’s too easy, yeah without it turning from a stop can be difficult but great road feel. I have a 57 Ford Ranchero gasser, talk about trying to turn from a stop!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
My 69 RSSS survivor, except paint, with 55K miles has the variable steering and is fine. My expectations are not to have a 2022 Camaro, however I have other cars with aftermarket "upgrades" or a waste of money! My 2018 Cadillac has one finger PS and no road feel! Oh well.

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
899 Posts
I remember my 74 Monte had no feel, it was point and shoot driving. I remember if I was pushing the car in turns or getting sideways, I’d have to count the turns of the wheel, so I didnt overcorrect returning to straight line. FWIW, 68 manual says 900-1000 psi PS pressure of the pump.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
1,305 Posts
Information only…. I always reserve the right to be wrong.
There is always some degree of subjectivity to answering questions of this nature.
If you know it all, and have the need to tell everyone, then by all means….go get on Fakebook
Save your click …..remember?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
2,128 Posts
Went through the same thing with my '69 and the original power steering. Changed the box to a nice, used Jeep Grand Cherokee box and problem solved. Also went from the stock skinny 16" OD wheel to a fat, leather wrapped 14" MOMO. The change was night and day. Nice, tight, and quick but not too crazy. Road feel is amazing, but I'm sure a $500 AGR or Bourgenson might be a skosh better LOL. OP might want to read my story about the JGC Steering Box.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Thank you all for your advice, I take no offense to what some people may think. Several have suggested the Iroc box, from the Iroc Camaros? What year and associated parts would I need for it to be compatible? Hopefully after front suspension rebuild it will be better also. It is hairy driving this, the slightest twitch and the car is turning that direction. I really don’t care for power steering, it’s too easy, yeah without it turning from a stop can be difficult but great road feel. I have a 57 Ford Ranchero gasser, talk about trying to turn from a stop!
You could just replace all the power steering setup with a manual box. At least you'll know it's a direct bolt on.

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
899 Posts
All this talk got me to look into my situation. Although I have a QR box with hydraboost and CVF racing Saginaw serpentine and PS pump which I looked up their spec and its set at 1200 psi. Ive reached out to see if they offer a reducer valve like fir the R&P system. Agree with the Peterbilt size steering wheel, I would like to find a 14”er and like the wood/rivets old style. Not even sure if those are available or affordable lol.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Let me start by admitting I was out of line with my comment. I got home from an evening that included more than a glass or two of wine last night and I wrapped it up by checking on new posts. Although I disagree with the pump pressure as the OP's problem, I should have held my click.

Reactions: jimnecci

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
1,305 Posts
Let me start by admitting I was out of line with my comment. I got home from an evening that included more than a glass or two of wine last night and I wrapped it up by checking on new posts. Although I disagree with the pump pressure as the OP's problem, I should have held my click.
It is entirely possible that pressure is NOT the problem, as you pointed out👍
In the late 70s we used Cadillac pumps if possible, to achieve that effortless “ feel”, and while entirely wrong
We thought it was a neat thing to do. 🙄 We had no idea what we were doing, but that didn’t stop us.
Have a drink on me Jim 👍 and thank you for your contributions

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I’ll give you props Jim; at least you owned up to it unlike someone else here.

The OP states he’s never had power steering on his older stuff. Is it possible that there is actually nothing wrong?

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,466 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I understand your issue as I have a similar issue on my 68 that has hydra boost and quick ratio box (2.5 turns lock to lock). Mine gets really squirrelly when smoking the tires the higher the rpms get. Very unsettling.
I am getting ready to install QA1 control arms and these have a built in increased negative caster that is supposed to allow the steering to act as a modern car does which is make the steering return to center much more easily. I am looking forward to this.
Here is how the steering was designed back in the day. If you remember all cars were manual steering which was a biotch to drive, then engineers came out with power steering, which made for one finger turning but there was no natural return to center and road feel was not great to say the least. Although it was real easy to turn, you had to physically turn it back to get to straight line center.
If you look up Dave Pozzi Racing on this forum, he has dissected the gen 1 steering issue to a tee. The optimum steering angle adjustment is about +5 to +6* caster, to which the aftermarket control arms are supposed to achieve along with a good alignment. Then theres added camber but in my case the QA1 arms dont change the camber angle unless you go to the pro touring style arms.
x 2 on this.

Recently, I 've been re-installing my steering column, and I had not a good return feeling. I then searched on the forum and found that the way you bolt the steering column fixing points is important.
First is to free bolts at the firewall plate and at the lower fixing points, getting angled shaped shim free.
In my case what worked is to check the minimum angle position at the join coupler (engine bay), while positioning the angle shim and bolting the 3 large bolts.
For this of course the bolts at the firewall plate were free to move.
I checked free movement while rotating the wheels side to side and then in central position bolted the 3 firewall plate bolts.

I got increase wheel return while driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I’m new to the forum, recently purchased a 69 Camaro with 454 and tremec 5 speed. A few isssues with car, but not too bad. It has power steering and I have absolutely no road feel, it turns way too easy for me, I don’t like it. What is the simplest fix for this, remove pump belt? Or do I need to change steering box to a manual box? Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum and 1969. Cars back then did not "feel" at all like they do today. You can make a bunch of modifications to bring it into this century to get some road feel. Plus the quick ratio boxes from today really decrease your turns lock to lock. Those cars back then often had close to 4 turns lock to lock some made for some excitement when trying to drive them fast through twisties. They were really sporty cars, not sports cars. It was described as "over assisted" if you ever read any old reviews on cars of that era. Shop carefully if you decide to upgrade. Whenever I and try to change things, my experience has taught me to look for upgrades from the factory shelf of parts versus trying to throw a bunch of "hot rod" parts at it from relatively unknown engineering heritage. Finding a later model GM vehicle that has adaptable parts is a fine ticket to a safe and reliable ride.

·
Registered
Now a tribute-1968(L30/M20) Z-28 Black stripes/white, 350, M22,12bolt. WIP since 8/1979
156 Posts
A new steering box makes a great deal of difference. I installed a CPP 50004 box and the car drives like it's new.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts