Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 1976 camaro that i just bought and the power steering unit has motor oil in it instead of power steering fluid "atf" how do i drain this so i can put the right fluid into it?

------------------

·
3,529 Posts
Cam,
You can take the return hose off the pump and stick it into a coffee can etc. Then run the motor and while the old oil is coming out, keep pouring new oil into the pump. A lot of shops use this method to "flush" out the lines when putting in a new pump etc. Just have someone helping you so that you can start and stop the motor as needed. You DO NOT want to run the pump dry. Also, while "flushing" turn the wheel from lock to lock once or twice to make sure and get all the air out of the system.
Just be carefull, and the procedure can be messy. You will probably need at least three or four qts of atf to get all the dirty oil out.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
9 Posts
What makes you think it has motor oil in it?? Is it because of color??

Some power steering fluids look brownish in color.

------------------
Mr. D
1968 RS SS Camaro
1973 RS LT Z28 Camaro
1972 454 Elcamino
1999 Firebird T/A WS-6

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BillK:
Cam,
You can take the return hose off the pump and stick it into a coffee can etc. Then run the motor and while the old oil is coming out, keep pouring new oil into the pump. A lot of shops use this method to "flush" out the lines when putting in a new pump etc. Just have someone helping you so that you can start and stop the motor as needed. You DO NOT want to run the pump dry. Also, while "flushing" turn the wheel from lock to lock once or twice to make sure and get all the air out of the system.
Just be carefull, and the procedure can be messy. You will probably need at least three or four qts of atf to get all the dirty oil out.
Hope this helps,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks billK. should have known that, slipped my mind. Mr.D good thought but when the oil is like sae 30wt it's not atf.

------------------

[This message has been edited by camnut (edited 08-21-2000).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rons68

ATF is a light weight oil with a high detergent in it. (At least that is what I have heard.
)

I think the psf doesn't have the detergent . . . just light weight oil. . . but don't know that for sure.

use atf. Some owners manuals even recommend it.
(read one last week and know that for sure.
)

camnut . . . sorry I just had to ask . . . you never know!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
camnut,

Your lucky it was reg oil. We just did a car a car that some genius put brake fluid in the power steering pump. Flsuhed the system, but the rack is starting to leak now......

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP
**How fast is just a matter of how much $$$ **

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I just bought a rebuilt quick ratio steering box and matching high performance pump from AGR Steering. They recommended synthetic PSF (don't remember the specific brand).

While ATF may be good for modern cars, I don't think that necessarily makes it so for our "oldies".

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 8/13/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts