Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do different power steering pumps have different pressures for the application?
I currently have my 72 camaros pump in my suburban and it squeals alot. When it does it I notice that the pulley stops rotating briefly. It's a 77 4x4 box, and I'm wondering if the camaros pressure rate can't keep up with the drag. Anybody know about this??

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Steve,

Could the pump be seizing? I've not heard about different pressures for different applications. If there were, I doubt a higher pressure pump would cause the pulley to stop altogether. You could have a bad pump.

Eric

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Different applications have different pressures. That is why you can get in Grandma's Cadillac and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock with your pinkie with the car in park.

·
10,157 Posts
Stevo,
I have seen different pressure specs for different applications, but your pump and pulleys should be able to handle that pressure.
The pressure control valve is just behind the outlet fitting in the pump.
You usually don't reach full pressure unless you hit the turn stops.
If the belt is slipping, suspect the belt or pulley is worn or too loose.
Another problem could be that there is plugging in the very small screen in the end of the pressure valve.
It is about a quarter inch dia and can plug easily, causing pressure problems.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. It's seems to be getting worse, so I'll pull the valve and see what's up. When it squeals, the pump stops spinning, or seems to be, the belt seemed tight. I'll let ya know the solution anyway.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hey Steve, are you trying to get an award at the next show as a "Custom Suburban"? Going to try the 67 spoiler on it next?

There's no "E" in Suburban either!

joe

·
10,157 Posts
That valve sits just behind the outlet fitting and has a small nut on it's end with a quarter inch dia screen in it.
At least that's what I remember. It's been a long time since I fooled with those valves.
There is a check ball and very stiff spring with shim stack in that valve to set relief pressure. More shimms = less pressure.
You can swap valves between pumps to change pressure. I don't think you can swap between the old and the new smaller body style pumps with no reservoir.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts