Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently replaced the motor in a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. The power steering worked fine before the motor swap. When I first started the new motor, the hose on the return side of the power steering pump jumped off. I retightened the hose, filled reservoir again and drove the car about 2 miles, then the reservoir tank started pouring where it joins the pump! I went ahead and changed the pump and tank and filled the tank with fluid again, this time I drove the car about 5 miles, and then the top seal(just below the steering column connection) in the rack and pinion unit blew! Completely frustrated I went and got another rack and pinion unit and installed it today. I flushed the hoses/lines before hooking them back up to the new unit. Again I drove the car about 5 miles and the top seal in the rack and pinion unit blew! The unit has a sensor close to the top seal, but I dont think the sensor would have anything to do with pressure. It seems like there is too much pressure! Or could the fluid be getting too hot somehow and melting the seals? I cant figure this one out! Please, if anyone has seen anything like this, or knows what is causing the top seals in the rack and pinion to blow, respond to this post asap as this problem is getting expensive! The only thing from the original power steering system left on the car is the lines, I have changed everything else.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

P.S. The car is a 1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme with 2.8L v6 engine.

·
10,144 Posts
How did the steering work/sound before it blew the seal?
Are you shure you routed the serpentine belt the right direction? (pump going backward?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The power steering was working fine before blowing the seal. The serpentine belt is routed according to diagram under hood. The pump is turning clockwise and seems to be working fine. I hand turned the pump before installing it and it shot a good stream out the high pressure side when turned clockwise so I believe the belt is routed correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it's not possible to reverse the lines due to the design of the fittings. I think I have solved the problem! The power steering pump has a pressure valve inside and I think this valve has stuck open allowing excessive pressure on the seals. Normally the valve closes around 1200 psi. I would just about guarantee that this is the problem, but I will have to remove the pump and check it before I know for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it's not possible to reverse the lines due to the design of the fittings. I think I have solved the problem! The power steering pump has a pressure valve inside and I think this valve has stuck open allowing excessive pressure on the seals. Normally the valve closes around 1200 psi. I would just about guarantee that this is the problem, but I will have to remove the pump and check it before I know for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts