Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem converting a '67 327. We are putting it into a '79 Camaro and are having problems with the power steering. We had to make brackets to hold my original pump as we could not find brackets nor a pump for the 327 for a "reasonable" price. The motor doesn't have bolt holes in the heads to mount up the origianl bracket. Is this the problem? We have used 3 different pumps to no avail.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
All SB engines prior to '69 did not have the accessory bolt holes that would be used to bolt up the pump, although they aren't used for some years of power steering pumps. What you should do is roam a junkyard; find a pickup truck with a small block and rip the brackets off of there. They're easy to find.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
On 68 and earlier small blocks, the power steering pump brackets were mounted to the block via the bolt holes next to the timing cover and the drivers side engine mount bolts. 69 and later PS pumps mount to the water pump, block and/or heads.

Find a set of early brackets. I got mine new from Ricks First Gen.

Once you get the brackets to work, you'll probably need to work on the pulleys!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts