Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1967 Camaro with manual steering. I'm switching over to power steering. My engine is a 1988 model 350.

Here's my problem...
I bought a used pump and brackets, as well as a new hose.

I was told that the pump and brackets came from a '69 Camaro small block. One of the tech guys on this forum assured me that this '69 pump and brackets would work fine.

The pump has a female end and the new hose also has a female end.

Is there a fitting or something like that I can use to fix this problem?

Where can I get such a thing?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Weatherhead makes a line of male 'flare-to-flare' adapters you could use to make it fit.
Numbers would be #C5305X6 = 3/8~3/8, #C5305X8 = 1/2~1/2 & #C5305X10 = 5/8~5/8
I think you'd need a 3/8" flare adapter IIRC, but could be wrong.
These fittings are available at many parts houses and any good industrial supply shop.
You may need to be carefull about getting the intire connection so long it hits on the mount or ??? - and the additional wieght hung off the pump fitting may lead to issues with the whole mess coming loose and leaking over time.

It would be 'easier' to just get the correct hose from you local auto house with the correct ends in the long run ...
Our site sponsor sells a kit for them and they aren't to expensive - http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.m...Code=ARK-69F&Category_Code=STEERINGCOMPONENTS

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
That pump is a early 70s I think. Go to Checkers and ask for powercraft hose #70973. That will have the Male fitting at the end. That will work with the pump you have. Or you can also ask Checkers if they have the pump, tell them you want a PS pump for a 69 350. If they have it open the box and check out the fitting and make sure its got a male fitting. Then you'll be in good shape.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I'm surprised that a 69 setup will work on your 67. The 67 and 68 model years used a short water pump. In 1969 they went to a long water pump and continued them for several years on various models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a 88 model center bolt valve cover with a long water pump.
But a guy at work fixed me up. He had a early 70 model Chevelle hose at home and it worked I will have to tweak it alittle. It had male fitting both ends.
Thanks for all the replys

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
That pump is a early 70s I think. Go to Checkers and ask for powercraft hose #70973. That will have the Male fitting at the end. That will work with the pump you have. Or you can also ask Checkers if they have the pump, tell them you want a PS pump for a 69 350. If they have it open the box and check out the fitting and make sure its got a male fitting. Then you'll be in good shape.
What he said, you need a hose with simular bends but male fitting. I got into this a while back, just irritate the parts man long enough and he will take you back behind the counter and you will find the hose you need within you application range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.