Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I've owned a 1968 base model coupe for the past ten years. It's equipped with the original 327 motor, power steering and power brakes (the latter upgraded to Wildwood front discs some years ago). It's driven nearly every weekend (I live in Australia and we have no winter to speak of) but not raced or auto crossed. Recently the power steering box has begun to leak and I'm wondering if it's better to rebuild it ($50 seal kit) or put in a new, upgraded box ($$$). For the type of driving that I do I'm not unhappy with the steering. It's a variable ratio box (#129) and I have no trouble with the car on twisty back roads and muti-lane motorways. However, the car had 87,500 miles on it when I got it and now has 124,000 so I'm wondering if other components in the steering box may be worn. All suspension bushes have been replaced and the front end lowered moderately with custom coil springs. Thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
That is one nice looking '68.

The rebuild option is the cheapest assuming you can get the unit apart. Or you can roll the dice with a rebuilt one based on a '85 IROC but most are just a generic gear boxes. Then the best option but most expensive is a new box from Borgenson, Lee or others with a 12:1 ratio and good feedback. Then you will probably want to replace the pump. A never ending circle. I found removing/installing the box was the biggest challenge because of its location. There are lots of posts as to converting from a manual to power so they may help.

Over to others.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi,
I don't often comment topics here, but got so much help in the past :) that I find I can now try to document if I can...

I installed 6 years ago a Cardone Iroc Z 3rd gen Rebuilt Steering box , you find at summitracing or other similar places. This is a short ratio steering box.
The hose connections are different than original. You have to buy couplings and inserts kits to use your hoses end fittings, rom Lee Manufacturing. For me , these Lee inserts didn't work as supposed, it leaked, so I ended up buying new hose with special end fittings, at a hydraulic shop.
Normally the inserts are supposed to work withyour existing hose connections...

The old pump worked, but as before.. it means you don't have full power steering at idle...

This Iroc Z Steering box is more firm than the original, which is appreciable.

Soon I am going to upgrade to a new pump and I'll tell you how it goes...

Some pictures of the inserts and the hoses.
Hope this helps.

Marc

PS Really like your camaro blue color. What blue is that? Any other pics?
My camaro is night blue, very dark. If I change one day, I'll go for a blue like yours.

Attachments

·
15,104 Posts
I’d the only issue is leaking I would just replace the seals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
I don't often comment topics here, but got so much help in the past :) that I find I can now try to document if I can...

I installed 6 years ago a Cardone Iroc Z 3rd gen Rebuilt Steering box , you find at summitracing or other similar places. This is a short ratio steering box.
The hose connections are different than original. You have to buy couplings and inserts kits to use your hoses end fittings, rom Lee Manufacturing. For me , these Lee inserts didn't work as supposed, it leaked, so I ended up buying new hose with special end fittings, at a hydraulic shop.
Normally the inserts are supposed to work withyour existing hose connections...

The old pump worked, but as before.. it means you don't have full power steering at idle...

This Iroc Z Steering box is more firm than the original, which is appreciable.

Soon I am going to upgrade to a new pump and I'll tell you how it goes...

Some pictures of the inserts and the hoses.
Hope this helps.

Marc

PS Really like your camaro blue color. What blue is that? Any other pics?
My camaro is night blue, very dark. If I change one day, I'll go for a blue like yours.
Hi Marc, Thanks for your input. I've been in touch with Lee and have decided to order one of their 12:1 ratio boxes and some other kit. I'll report back here once the job is done to let you know how it went. The colour of my car is paint Code D, "Grotto Blue". It's been redone about six years ago and probably has a few more coats of clear than original but other wise it looks pretty authentic. The white Z28 stripes were painted to exact factory spec for size and location but have a bit of pearl in them for added impact. Here's a couple more photos of "Virginia".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts