Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My power steering on my 67 camaro is on it's last foot. I figure I might as well upgrade for the amount I would spend to replace just one part. Does anyone here have a recommendation on what brand/upgrade to get?

Thanks!
-Jay

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
See sticky #3 above.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
My final decision would depend on the rest of your combo and what your going to do with the car.

The Hotchkis 500 box is a nice piece for the money.

My favorite is a 600 box but they are a little more money.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have good results with a Lares 972 (stock quick ratio box with IROC internals). I bought mine at Advance Auto and turned in the original box for core charge. Direct swap, much better feel and turn ratio, IMO.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No, no, no. Run down to your local junkyard. Find a late 80's IROC camaro. Just look for the big ol I R O C on the lower side sill. Go under the front of the car, dab some power steering fluid on the end of the steering box to dab off the grease. Dont rub, just dab, or you'll wipe off the code you need. Look for an XH code on the end of the steering box. That XH confirms its a fast ratio, high effort steering box. Take it out, its like $50. Get the spring and valve that goes into the back of the power steering pump with the car too, you will need that. Then all you will need is a new rag joint, and a new pressure line with a couple of adapter fittings. There are a bunch of threads on how to do. Look around, made a world of difference on my 68.

Message me if you have any questions. Its a great, cheap swap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts