Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m wanting to upgrade my 67 to power steering. Does anyone know how much larger the power steering box is in comparison to the manual. I have long tube headers on the car and they barely clear the manual steering box. Any help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I just installed an IROC box today on my '67, 400 small block (long water pump)...unfortunately, the stock '69 belt I ordered does not fit, so I must wait to actually drive it :(

Anyway, I have a pair of Patriot long tubes on the car, and they had a TON of clearance with the manual box,an still have plenty with the power box.

The project took a bit longer than expected--old box came out really easily...

Re-install of the new box was a bit challenging. Had to remove the header to get the box in. Once th box was in, I had to remove the plugs, dipstick tube, and Z bar (manual trans) to re-install the header...

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
You might want to check out this:

Power Steering Box Upgrade

I'm very happy with the JGC box... huge improvement over the OEM. Supposedly the later Saginaw boxes like these are 1/8" wider castings but I never did measure.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
I bought a used a 67 quick ratio box from a member here to use on my 68. Yes the box is a lot longer. It will extend right up to the rag joint. I have stock exhaust manifolds on my 350 so no issue with width. I have seen this box used on a few cars running headers and almost all of those have the small dent in one header tube.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,321 Posts
I install the IROC box in all my Camaros. O'Reilys for $116. Works great. Will need hose adapters.
How do I find said box? Just type in power steering for that year Camaro in the Oreily's search box?

Thanks,
Brett.....

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts