Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the near future I expect to be in a position to test/debug my chassis wiring. I have been working off a fused tender cable I plug in to my harley. I would like to replace that with a regulated linear power supply. Where do I find a decent on the cheap? Where’s Radio Shack when I need them?

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Why not just use its battery? I have a battery tender plugged into my 67's battery when it sits. The battery is always fresh when I need it to start the engine, or troubleshoot any of its potential wiring issues that may pop up.

Reactions: 69-Pace

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Nice thing about a bench power supply is that you can set the current limit. Real useful if you have a short or similar issue... You can also troubleshoot low and high voltage issues...

It’s amazing how low cost these bench supplies have become. $50 is dirt cheap....

And some of the electronics in our LS powered cars do have space shuttle complexity.... :grin2: The wiring for my double DIN head unit with Nav, backup camera etc was mind boggling. It even needs a speed sensor input for the Nav.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darin, what you do is what I will do if I dont get a bench supply. What Don says about the bench supply is correct however. Is it overkill? Maybe, unless you uncover a problem. The reason I posed this question is a disinterest in buying off ebay. I used to buy and sell stuff there but lost the faith. I saw a few on Amazon that interest me. When my ham radio days ended I sold 2 really good power supplys and have regretted it since.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
I just use a battery charger. Not trying to start it just checking continuity.

·
14,093 Posts
I use battery and a Power Probe. Best thing ever for trouble shooting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts