Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68's alternator came with an internal voltage regulator alternator when I got it last year. I since converted it to a big block and just put an ordinary alternator and external regulator, like original. There is the big red wire to the alternator along with a plug that houses two wires, a blue and a white I think. The wide plug for the original regulator was left unused in the corner of the rad support. When I plugged everything, the regulator became very hot and became smoking and my pertronix fried. What is wrong with my set-up ? Is there something modified in the wiring since it was running a internally regulated alternator ? Something that I should "undo" before plugging everything ? Also, my aftermarket regulator said the box should be grounded . Do they mean the "body" of the box ? I noticed there is an extra terminal under it that corresponds to another terminal which goes to the brown wire on the connector. Is this where the ground should connect ? Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Someone probably jumpered the connector at the regulator to use the internal reg. alternator. The external reg. terminals should be numbered 1,2,3,4. Number 1 should go to the F terminal on the alt., 2 should go to the R terminal on the alt., 3 goes to the BAT terminal on the horn relay, and 4 goes to the GEN light. And yes the regulator gets grounded to the body.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1-2 RUN !

I checked carefully, there is nothing "jumped" at all on the old regulator connector. It is just unplugged. The only jumper is on the other alternator (which I don't use anymore) and it is between the "F" on the alternator and the BAT terminal. Is it possible it worked just like that ? I mean it should because I have been running the car like that for more than a year ! Is there a way to "test" my alternator without frying anything ?

Frank.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The internally regulated alternator will have that jumper wire, thats why it worked.
Pull the tape off your harness, and check the blue and white wire, they should go directly to the regulator.
Personally, I would find another internal alt. and use it instead.

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

1 - 4 of 4 Posts