Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, first off, thanks to all that will reply. Now, I have been wainting a power trunk release for my camaro for a long time. I have had a few odd parts cars, like a 1990 thunderbird that I have tried to enginer something to work. I cannot find out how to bypass the key in the lock. Well, I have found someone that has one for $140. Is this worth it? Does anyone know how many came with this option? How does it work, what does the power lock unit replace?? Any information, no matter how small, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't think Camaros came with a power trunk release but I have seen a '69 Firebird with a factory trunk release that was I believe vacuum operated.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1169124&a=8603468

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The way that this guy is selling it, he says that it was a dealer installed option. Maybe I should have stated this before. Maybe this will help clear up some confusion.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Being on a tight budget with my '69. I took the power trunk release from a newer GM, and modified it to fit by mounting it on the trunk side of the bracket and welding on new tabs. The original latch mechanism was also cut to allow the trip tab to fit. It's nice to have the remote keyless door locks and trunk release.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have one that was in the trunk of a 69 Firechicken that I bought for parts. I guess I need to look for it......

·
Registered
797 Posts
You may want to go to a junkyard and find a mid 80's Pontiac Bonneville as they had the power trunk release that is quite easily modified to work in your Camaro. If you go this route, be sure and take the glove box mounted trunk release button. The button is quite easily mounted in your Camaro as well. You can also steal the power door locks and power window mechanisms from this car.. They are ripe for pickin!!! Happy hunting in the yard!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I got mine on ebay for my 69. There not that hard to find on ebay and the prices are not that bad. These power trunk releases fit alot of different GM cars for that era. It will replace the latch you currently have perfectly and they look very similar to the non power latch. I think these were dealer installed but I'm not completely sure about that. Your existing key will also fit and work just as before.

I didn't know where to put the release button and I couldn't find any information on this. I finally mounted it in the top of the cardboard golve box. The release button that came with mine fit an existing hole perfectly and it can't be seen when you open the glove box door. Actually, it worked out very well.

The wire to the trunk release runs along the same wire bundle as the tail light wiring.

I got the 12v supply wire going to the button from the glove box light, which wasn't very far away. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by kurt6325 (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Some of the mid 60’s big GM cars had a power trunk latch that is a exact bolt on replacement. i.e., no modification required, just rut the wire to the glove box stick the button in the hole in the top and run a wire from the other side of the switch to a hot wire. The power latch I’m using came from a 66 Grand Prix.

------------------
Geezer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts