Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll make this general enough so that it can apply to Camaros as well. My daily driver needs a new power window motor. According to the Chilton manual, I need to drill out about 18 rivets and remove all the guts from the door, then separate the glass from the regulator and remove the regulator to replace the motor. This seems a little too involved for me, so I'm seriously considering getting out the cutoff wheel and making an access hole in the door for the motor so I can avoid all that. Can anyone give me a resaon that I shouldn't perform this surgery? Thanks for any input!

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

·
Registered
73 Posts
i know it sounds weird, but i helped a friend replace a window motor, turns out it was easier to just replace the whole door. just a thought

·
Registered
505 Posts
Later model GM vehicles use large pop rivits to hold the regulator to the door...You can cut off the rivets and use nuts and bolts. To replace the rivets you'll need an idustrial size rivet gun.Which most of us don't have. I wouldn't cut a hole in the door, it's not as difficult as it sounds.

Gary

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Bret,
Obviously I haven't worked on everything and I'm not positive what you have, but, in general, it's not a real difficult job to do. As Cavemate says, you can replace the rivets with nuts and bolts and you can avoid cutting your arms up by putting masking tape around all the openings in the door you will be working with.
Incedently, sorry about the bad e-mails.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toby, no problem about the e-mails. I really thought the post might be the easiest way for you to find out about it.

Anyway, the car is a '92 Caprice wagon. I'm not kidding about the amount of rivets that need to be drilled out. There is a bracket that hold the handle and electric lock actuator that needs to be removed so that there is access to the glass chanel (3-4 rivets). I have to drill out more rivets to separate the glass from the regulator, then drill out the rivets holding the regulator in place. I know I could replace all those with clipnuts and bolts (in fact that is what the Chilton book says to do) but I can see about 1/3 of the motor through a 2.5" hole in the door and it just seems like it would be so much easier to enlarge the hole and unbolt it from the regulator with everything else in place. I just don't know if there will be any other hidden obstacles if I went that route. Thanks for the replies!

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Bret,
I don't think you would be the first to enlarge the hole to gain access to something in the door. Actually, I have done exactly that several times in the past but never to a Camaro. Since you are working on a daily driver and if you don't think you would compromise the structural integrity of the door, why not?
Don't you hate it when the factory cuts costs at the expense of the guys who have to work on the cars later?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just thought I'd follow up to let you guys know I did end up cutting a larger hole in the door. Worked out great. It did turn out that the motor was still good, the regulator mechanism was binding at full down position due to some of the rivets not being tight. I drilled out two rivets and replaced with nuts and bolts, put washers behind the motor mounting points to shim it out some and put a 2.5" hose clamp arount the end of the motor, tightened it down and attached the "tail" of it to the door with another bolt/nut to keep it from rocking as the window came down. Sounds like a real rig job, but that's what it took to get everything tightened up and working again.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts