Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My switches (I think) is acting up. The windows go down easily, but they don't always want to go up. On the pass. side window, both switches act this way. I did use brand new wiring when I restored it back in '98. Could it be something else?

John

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If both the driver's side switch for the passenger window and the passenger side switch also for the passenger window have it slowly going up I would think maybe the regulator or glass is in a bind. I'm not sure how the system wires but it could be a voltage problem and/or a ground problem also.
When I was doing testing on a 56 I was rewiring for a customer I had some test plugs for the window motors to where I could take a cordless drill battery and work the windows up and down. I tried the one window to see how it rolled down and then the other and they both seemed close to each other in the time to roll down and how the motors sounded while working so then I tried each one in the up position to see how they worked. If one of them was working slow one way I knew that the battery and connections were a constant right to the motor connections but I was wired to different motors and regulators (and how each glass was adjusted in the window channel).
Maybe try what I did with test plugs right on the motor to bypass your interior switches and grounds.
Jim

·
Registered
715 Posts
How old is the wiring? That too many be playing a factor. Going down hill is much easier than going up hill......if the wiring is old it may be putting a good load on old wiring.

My wiring for my car is original and I too have issues sometimes with the windows. Greased everything and still the same. The wiring is old and brittle and the strands are probably breaking down.

Just another avenue to check as well.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, it IS my switch. I took it apart and it works fine if I push it down with a screwdriver. It does arc (sparks)on the contacts and they are pitted, so a new switch is in order.

Is the arcing normal, or do I have a ground problem?

Thanks,

John

·
Super Moderator
32,530 Posts
The arcing is normal. Even on relay contacts, the points get close enough, the air breaks down and a spark occurs until there is physical contact of the the two point faces, no matter how fast the contacts are closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts