Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm swapping out my burnt powerglide for a th400 in a 67 convertible. its got a 383 engine that I built so will have lots of torque. I got a new crossmember from Classic Industries, (since its only about 20 min. away) as well as the detent conversion kit and the shift rod.

What else will I have to do to install this? I know I'll need a new driveshaft, any recomendations? I'm also having trouble finding bolts for engine to transmission (I don't have the original, I didn't take the car apart) and any help on the install would be appreciated.

The whole car is stripped right now so I can attach engine to tranny and then dip it into the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Welcome!

Regarding the T400 crossmember - if you look at it you'll notice that the mounting pad is offset about an inch to the passenger side. This is because the big block cars offset the engine/trans to the passenger side. I don't believe the factory ever put a T400 behind a small block, hence all t400 crossmembers are like this. Anyway, this mount pad will need to be cut off and rewelded. I cut mine off with a 3" air cut off tool. There are only 4 short welds, and it comes off very cleanly. I recommend bolting in the crossmember, installing the engine and trans, bolt on the rear trans mount, and figure out exactly where you want the mount pad to go....tack weld it in place, pull the crossmember back out and weld it up.

Your trans cooler lines can be made to work, but if they're alreadly mangled I suggest new ones. If you have a good tubing bender and a little patience, this is a simple job. Or you could run down to Classic and pick up a set. You'll need to figure out a new vac modulator line as well - not a big deal.

Make sure your flexplate has the right bolt pattern for your new converter. If not, be sure and get the correct one - most new ones have dual bolt patterns. You most likely have a 153 tooth model. If you change to 168 tooth you'll need a new nose for your starter. You should be able to find a 153 tooth to work, though.

Consider shortening your current driveshaft rather than trying to find one that is the correct length. The shop you choose to do the job will tell you how you should measure things.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You will also need a kickdown switch. The TH400 uses an electic kickdown. Mr Gasket makes a generic one for about $30. It works well.
The GM ones go for $40 and up on EBay. You'll need the bracket for the correct carb with the GM one. It is a push-type. Mr. Gasket is a pull-type so you have to make a bracket for it to mount to.

joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot guys!

The crossmember is a'okay for the swap, doesn't need any work.

I don't have a driveshaft to shorten so I need to get one made probably.

I also don't really trust any of the lines left in the car so I'm replacing them all (fuel, brake, trans...) I'll let you guys know how it goes

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts