Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I feel like a fool and I know you guys have heard it all before. Last summer I got the car of my dreams, after driving it for a couple of months I started thinking a muscle car should have a little more muscle than my 200 h.p. 327. So I get a qoute from a guy who is the shop manager of a "performance garage". He has been in the business 25 years, had built and owned many hot rods and used to own his own shop. We discuss putting a big block in, a tko 600 and a a Moser 12 bolt along with all new poly bushings, suspension, upgrade steering and disc brakes. We come up with a price (with the majority of the money down) that seemed low to me and I knew there would be costs unforseen. Well the engine wasn't out the first week as promised, and there always seemed someone else had an emergency repair they needed done. After 8 months of every excuse, legal probs, financial probs, family probs, not returning phone calls for weeks, I got him on the phone and told him I needed my car back if he couldn't handle it. Well he proceeded to tell me it was my fault? and If I wanted it back he would slap on the wheels and I could come get it, that he hadn't finished the work I already paid for didn't matter to him as he had already done another couple thousand dollars work over and above. I would have picked it up in the past but it is kind of hard to tow a car without steering, suspension, brakes and where did he put the axles? Now he claims to be able to get it done by the weekend, again. He upped the estimate that he last gave me even though he hadn't touched it. I hope I can offer some advice to guys who farm out work for whatever reason. Don't pay up front, nobody in the world pays for work first, maybe parts but if your guy wants money, do the work first. Stretch out the jobs, Don't go in and say rebuild this car from the ground up if you can avoid it, do it in pieces, engine swap then suspension then brakes etc.. Get deadlines in your qoute ,they are as important as money. Don't be overly friendly to people you do business with, it will bite you, be polite but stand your ground. Hopefully I will be cruisin before summer.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Nice guys finish last?

Sorry to hear that, that sux.

·
Registered
601 Posts
hhmm wished i had customers like you.when doing cars people usually pay so slow after i order all these parts and i got to wait for them to pay just for the parts never mind the labor lol. wished i did your car be done in a month at most. my motto got the dough ill roll no dough your car rolls lol:beers:

·
20,713 Posts
You may be able to seek legal action... you have anything in writing ?

oh, and make him pay for your lawyer too :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure I could get legal help, and your are damn right I got everything in writing. It just sucks how when someone you do business with stops returning phone calls for weeks, breaks deadlines a dozen times over and everytime you go over to his house (where the car is) someone elses car is being worked on. It apparently is more profitable to do weekend jobs, valve job, ball joint replacement, etc... that a lot of people won't or can't do, than to finish the work he was paid up front for. I would take my car and I probably will end up doing that but he makes sure that the front end, axles, brakes and steering are almost finished so if I went there I would have to spend a couple of hours just to get it to roll on to a truck. I want to get my car back before I let on who this guy is and I just am trying to avoid a scene and cops, lawyers and him F*#&ing with my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts