Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this so I'll start here. I've done some searches but not found anything. My question is where do you guys go to buy tools like micrometers, dial indicators, calipers? I see there is a huge price range and I'm trying to figure out who sells good quality for a fair price. My need for these is engine building. Thanks for any help, John

·
20,713 Posts
If your not tring to get top shelf stuff, Harbor Freight has some "ok" stuff,just not big name.Grainger,McMaster Carr, Lawson Products, are some others you check out, but does get pricey.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.

·
Registered
300 Posts
MSC 1-800-645-7270 it is where machine shops buy their tools. They carry most major brands like Starret and Brown and Sharpe which is the best American made stuff. Swiss made stuff is the best but nothing automotive requires that kind of expense, quality or accuracy.

------------------
1969 Camaro 350 & 1969 Impala SS 427/ 4-speed (restored)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I found this stuff on eBAY from a specialized store. I bought 1" to 6" mics and inside mics from these guys and was very pleased. I will try to find the name, but just take a look on eBAY. I have also had good luck with Harbor Frieght for many tools.

Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Being a bargin hunter I've picked up most of mine from pawn shops for .25 on the dollar mainly Starett and other name brand stuff. Usally most pawn shops have a good supply of machinist tools, you just have to find one thats willing to negotiate.

·
10,164 Posts

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I use Travers tools, and have had excellent service. They have the exotic stuff as well as cheaper stuff. They will send you one of their 1200 page catalogs for free, or check them out online at travers.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts